Roof Tiles under Window

What I was refering to was my certificate for lawful development but in light of your post I looked through my docs and i also have a copy of a letter sent from the Building Control officer saying that the plans appear satisfactory for purposes of building regulation, I assume this is what you mean.
Sorry for my naivety in this field but this is why I paid the Architect to complete this section for me.

Sponsored Links
The bay window would have been best replaced with a less tall fella but still deep enough to satisfy 1100mm escape reg's, then all this hassle would have been avoided.

The thickness of the roof covering material i.e. tile batten, tile etc, amounts to around 70mm at the highest point so this needs to be considered when factoring in upstands etc.

The bay needs a timber upstand and a lead apron around the base to look right then all other roofing elements can be dealt with accordingly.

have the windows taken out , form a tile batten on the inside of the window where the window stops on the inside form your lead up over that and it will have to be wielded in all the corners put your windows back in hay presto sorted

And id probs do all the flat roof part in lead and keep the tiles further down the roof to avoid height issues

Sponsored Links
boycey; If the rafters are something like 8" deep, have you considered cutting back the tops to form a small flat ledge, which can then be covered in lead and flashed over the top course of tiles?

This depends on how the raftrs are fitted to the steel. Despite how it looks on the sketch, it is acceptable to cut some timber off the top of the rafter because the bending stress at the end of the rafter is nil. The only stress to consider is shear stress and if you can leave at least one-half the rafter in, that should be well within limits.

Frankly, it is a botch and the designer should have forseen this (building inspectors by the way can't be expected to solve problems), but if it saves taking the roof off?

Its a good thought Tony but what about the sides of the bay behind the steel, as well as the junction where the steel runs under the cill?

what about the sides of the bay behind the steel, as well as the junction where the steel runs under the cill?

Point taken,FMT; on his Google pic, there is a small flat section of roof against the house wall (presumably bridging across from the steel). To clear the side of the bay, he could consider forming a lead-lined hidden box gutter draining to the side elevation (ie between the steel and the wall; would have to do the same on the other side as well).
But it would all be getting too complicated; perhaps he could consider lowering the steel? The original design is a dog's dinner and he either takes the roof off and starts again (possibly with a lower lintel over the outer doors) or makes the best of what is an ill-considered design.

Thanks for all the advise guys, looking for a roofer now as I have realised this is not something I want to be doing whichever way it is done.
Just got to find a decent local one now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back