BBA want to come and charge is this normal or a scam?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi advice needed please, we have this guy who has a double glazing company and we think we can trust him. We have used him several times over the years and all seems good. Originally my father was friends with him many years ago. Basically what I am saying is we think there is nothing to worry about with him. When he does a quote, it is posted out to us for us to decide, there is never any pressure to buy anything.

Recently my mother, (parents no longer together) had a front door installed by this guy’s company and then a few months later some French doors. All went well and she has the 10 year guarantee paperwork etc.
Soon after a company wrote to my mother asking to come and check the work to check everything meets requirements. The company is BBA, which I notice appears on the paperwork we got from our supplier guy’s company, it appears on a sheet with a load of other companies mentioning accreditations/standards/ISO’s etc.

My mother asked me what she should do, so I said the letter seems genuine but told her to ring our guy and see what he says about it, which she did. He said that if they do a check that he will have to pay £100 to them and we can just ignore them. This gave me reason for some concern, we really trust our guy but this seems odd. They are on his paperwork but will cost him money, the BBA letter says they may just come on the off chance and ask permission to view but we can arrange a time too.

Can anyone enlighten us what to make of all this please?

Surely the BBA are legitimate but they won’t be popular if they make £100 from the supplier every time. Also if it is not compulsory won’t everyone say no to avoid the cost? Also how is it £100 surely it must vary depending on size of job or is there some scam going on?

Any advice or help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its all legit and nothing to worry about. We all have 2% or a minimum of 2 of our jobs checked every year and yes they do charge us installers.

It is a condition of being Fensa/Certass registered and just another fee we have to pay like business insurances etc.

The check would only take 15mins or so and they will happily go to a different job he has done if it would be inconvenient to you. On the plus side if you do let them check yours you can be doubly sure hes done a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back