BBQ charcoal tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The charcoal tray for my BBQ has rusted and deteriorated. The coal doesn’t initially sit here. This is just to catch any coal/ashes that fall through from the upper tray (which is fine).

I want to repair/replace this and looking for ideas. I could resort to a welder but fear it will cost me dearly.

I am a DiY’er and own a bunch of tools, including a grinder. I’m looking for options that I may be able to exercise myself.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1765.jpeg
    IMG_1765.jpeg
    555.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1766.jpeg
    IMG_1766.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1767.jpeg
    IMG_1767.jpeg
    864 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1768.jpeg
    IMG_1768.jpeg
    529.9 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I want to repair/replace this and looking for ideas. I could resort to a welder but fear it will cost me dearly.

Go to a metal scrap yard, and see if they have a useful sheet of thin galvanised steel sheet. Something like the back from a domestic appliance, and thin enough for you to be able to bend with pliers/cut with tin snips. Cut to size, fold up the sides, fit cheap L brackets to the corners.

I've used a stainless steel cabinet savaged from a skip to replace mine.
A bit of work with the angle grinder, hammer and straight edge to bend one corner and a few rivets.

Sponsored Links
Sheet ali, fold the edges over on a work bench, it will last for years

Go to a metal scrap yard, and see if they have a useful sheet of thin galvanised steel sheet. Something like the back from a domestic appliance, and thin enough for you to be able to bend with pliers/cut with tin snips. Cut to size, fold up the sides, fit cheap L brackets to the corners.
I'd avoid galvanized steel- zinc fumes can be released if it gets too hot

A tray for collecting the ash out the bottom of a barbecue is hardly going to generate enough heat for that is it.
Well it says it catches coals and ashes. Im guessing there will be some heat in them. Some galv doesn't need to reach that high a temp to start releasing fumes

zinc flu is horrible, not worth the risk, zinc boils at ~900C, a hot coal could do it on a bad day

You need a metal tray with two pre folded edges that you can then rivet to the original.

however, that bbq has seen better days….

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back