Replacing a shower with bath tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to replace my standing shower tray with a bath tub. the bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling and now i have 2 issues. tips & ideas welcome.

1: The max width is 1650 for the bath. I have done research and have only come across 1600 or 1700 but nothing in between. Now i dont want to be hacking away tiles to squeeze in a 1700 (which is the normal approach), but if i go for the 1600, I have approx 40/50mm gap left, how do i deal with this? if it helps i will be keeping this gap on the opposite side of the shower so no water hits this area. o how do i bridge this gap?

2: the other issue is as mentioned the whole bathroom is tiled, and as i know its good practice to tile from the bath tub for a good seal, but this is not the case here.
I would class myself an intermediate DIY'er with all the tools under the sun! Therefore in order to achieve a good seal, i was thinking to angle grind the tiles just above the bath lip to slide in, is this a good idea?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Make up a frame for your 50mm gap and fit it before the bath, and then make it look nice, maybe tiles on the top and a timber strip down the vertical face? Your idea to angle grind the tiles down to bath height would probably work on the straights but there's a fair chance you'll have problems at the corners.

Hi many thanks for that tip, can you help me with this please:

How important is it to fit one of those bendy traps while installing a new bath? I am replacing a shower tray to bath tub, fitting are all there,waste with flexi outlet etc, do i have to change all this? thanks

Sponsored Links
Definitely 'cut' the bath into the tiles. I see too many that simply butt up to the tiles and they always leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back