1700mm bath tub replaced with 1600mm, need advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have an in the process of replacing my Acrylic 1700mm x 700mm bath tub with a Steel 1600 X 700mm due to a crack.

It will be near impossible to get a 1700mm back in due to fear of cracking existing tiles and also because the previous tub was pretty much embedded in the plasterboards at both ends of the batch

Questions:-
(1) Do I still need to prop the bath at the ends of will the legs be enough to do the job .... just wondering if I need o build some for of stud bracing for the bath ( ...if that makes any sence!)
(2) With the new bath I have 75mm gap and was wondering what is the best way close it off?

(3) should I earth the bath to existing earth clamp one of the pipes or should I use a new earth clamp to another section of the pipe?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Prop the bath as much as seems reasonable - you don't want it moving.

For the gap, i'd construct a little shelf out of wood framing, pop a bit of hardiebacker (cement based sheet) on top of it, then tile it up, sloping back towards the bath. Make sure the gap is at the non-taps end to minimise chance of leaks.

If your house is protected by an RCD, don't earth the bath.

You can get baths that are a direct replacement for old 5'6" baths @ 1650mm long although they make up in girth where they are lacking in length. Oooo errr missus.
They tend to be 750mm wide.

If your house is protected by an RCD, don't earth the bath.

Is that what the IEE regs say?

I'd be a little surprised given their penchant for earthing absolutely everything!

It's more a case of what the pipework is made of. If all plastic, H&C and waste, then no need, if any copper then earth it.

Sponsored Links
There is nothing that looks like an rcd in my consumer unit ...

regarding the gap, does the frame I need to build be as high as the top or bottom edge of the bath as shown in the picture?.

I have another problem with the waste pipe, The waste does not seem to come far enough to fit properly to the new bath It looks like the the section arrowed in the picture needs to be about 40mm longer . I tried yanking but it wont come loose .... do i need to cut some of it and use some sort of push fit tubing?

thanks

Thanks very much for the advice guys!,

..maybe just 1 more question :)

What additional methods can I used to prop the bath tub from underneath to stop up/down movements, the 4 legs seem to be way to far towards the middle of the bath such that it could tilt ...

cheers

Thanks very much for the advice guys!,

..maybe just 1 more question :)

What additional methods can I used to prop the bath tub from underneath to stop up/down movements, the 4 legs seem to be way to far towards the middle of the bath such that it could tilt ...

cheers

Build a wooden frame tight under it, doesn't have to be any thing complex :)

lol !

I am progressing slowly.

coming back to earthing the bath, I went to an electrical shop to buy a lead and was told that I don't need to earth the bath any more as regulations have changed and no more earthing should be done in the bathroom.

Is this true? or should I earth the steel bath?

lol !

I am progressing slowly.

coming back to earthing the bath, I went to an electrical shop to buy a lead and was told that I don't need to earth the bath any more as regulations have changed and no more earthing should be done in the bathroom.

Is this true? or should I earth the steel bath?

Earthing steel bath can be dangerous. Check over on the electricians forum for proper advice.

After all the hassle of installation, there appears to be a small number of tiny brown spots in the steel bath.

This appeared after I drained water out of bath following sealing the sides.

Could this be rust?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back