Replacing bath waste/drain & bath traps under bath tub query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 3 questions in relation to replacing my bath tub drain/waste and bath trap. Attached image of current configuration under my bath...

1. I am having difficulties removing the current bath waste trap (black part). It won't screw out and has some sealant underneath fixed on bath tub underside. Any useful tips in removing this?

2. Can flexi waste pipes be used instead of solid plastic bath traps (as long as its correct size)? The new waste drain/waste trap is much bigger in height.

3. We regularly get bad odours from the bath tub drain. Is the current setup of the bath traps under bath tub good installation?

Thanks.

Robert.

Attachments

• bath trap and waste.jpg
    bath trap and waste.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 301
Sponsored Links
Bath waste, (black section), should be held together with a screw through the top. If necessary get a second person to hold the bottom section whilst you undo the screw from the top. If that doesn't work, then its time for brute force, hacksaw or similar, and cut it off, being very careful not to damage the bath.

Clean all sealant off the mating faces before fitting a new waste, supplied washers should be adequate to make the seal, use of compounds may attack the bath, rotting the fibreglass. Flexis are not a substitute for a trap, and should be avoided wherever possible anyway.

Current trap is the correct choice for a bath, shallow bath traps can only be used where the bath discharges to a hopper or open gulley. Do you get gurgling from the bath when other appliances are discharged, e.g. the WC?

No ,it will not marry up ,without altering the white waste pipe that comes up thru the floor. Don't think mcalpine make an identical trap,best to replace with the identical NUFLO trap.
Why do you want to replace the trap anyway ?
Is your current bath plug opened / closed by a cable ? Looks like the waste fitting has an odd shape ,but can't see any cable in pic.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hi, the bath plug is cable but it is missing (previous owner must of removed it). We wanted to remove the trap as it is very dirty and got stains. It can be cleaned out but have been thinking of just replacing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back