Bath won't drain even with new trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could the forum please help with a problem I have with my bath tub plumbing. I have a bath with an overhead electric shower and recently the waste water has been increasingly slow to drain.

I tried the usual clearing methods (which didn't work). Today I've removed the bath waste trap only to find it is clear, as is the (half metre or so) 40mm plastic pipe to the soil stack.

Using a flexi-wire tool, I can detect what feels like a spring loaded flap about where it enters the old cast iron soil stack. When pushing the wire I could hear/feel it open and close, so assumed on re-assembly it would work again .... alas not and the bath is full of water.

Is this some sort of flap valve problem? Why would it prevent the significant weight of water in the bath going out? Looking at the Screwfix catalogue I can't see any plastic end connector that incorporates a flap. Surely the flap is not part of the cast iron stack?

Any advice appreciated.

ps. The soil stack is in an open section of wall at the drain end of the bath. I can reach it but it is difficult to access.

Sponsored Links
Show us some pics of where the waste pipe joins the stack.
Have you fitted a brand new trap ,as stated in the title ??

IMG_20210506_195849038[1].jpg
IMG_20210506_195912914[1].jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, new trap fitted. Bath still full of water with no plug in it! Just used the spring when the trap was off. That's when I felt some sort of valve/flap at the stack end.

First point I would check is where the plastic screws into the boss on the stack, possible that's gunged/corroded up. I'm not aware of any fittings of that type with Non return valves in them, can only wonder if something has found its way down the stack that shouldn't be there....

The soil pipe from the adjacent toilet enters the left side of the stack (just out of shot) and is vertically just above the waste connector in the stack, so I guess it's possible it might be gunged up. Toilet empties fine though.

That is your issue in one photo. Regs state there should be no horizontally opposed connection within the 200mm below the centreline of the WC connection. It'll be blocked solid from the WC.
Parallel_Junction.jpg

From the pictures, I’d take the toilet out and have a look into the 4 inch and you’ll find your problem, probably pee, poo and paper

But Hugh, that stack was built like that.

Andy

Doesn't mean it's right though. ;) (Although it would have worked when it was new!) Cant understand why they'd make a fitting like it, it's asking for trouble, (as well as being in contravention of the regs!)

Went to my Mates Parents house many moons ago, they had a basin in the downstairs WC that they hadn't used in years as it was blocked. Same issue, only it was connected directly opposite the sink waste, which also took Waste Disposer. Basin connection was rock solid with crud, I just capped it off and fitted a new waste from the basin to an outside gully.

As you say, been like it since new (circa 1970). It's in a block of 10 flats. The soil stack is shared with one other flat (that is below this one). Not near an outside wall; MAJOR building work would be required to change its design.

Even if I take out the WC I won't be able to reach the junction, due to there being a right hand 90 degree bend at the loo end plus all boxed and tiled in. When the water subsides I'll try removing the pipe fitting at the soil stack and see what I find.

Concerned that I might damage a pipe fitting that is no longer available.

Edit: The cast iron soil pipes and fittings are part of the Timesaver range, introduced in 1973. Threads are said to be 2 inch BSPT so should be able to get a replacement plastic connector if I destroy the existing one.

Last edited:
What you have ther meets the requirements of the building regulations, the waste and the soil pipe centres are the same height on the branch.
timesaver3_LI.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back