Bath trap replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace a bath trap because it cracked and broke up when the stainless steel strainer was being tightened.

The bath has been completely tiled in, so I have to go under the floor to replace the trap. A really very tight squeeze and hopefully my arms are long enough to reach the trap.

The carpet has to be lifted in an adjacent room to get under the floor, so I want to ensure that I get the trap replacement right first time, as I don't want to repeat the procedure.

I am going to wind ptfe tape around the plasic thread on the trap and apply sanitary silicone to both sides of the rubber washer on the underside and of course silicon to the underside of the strainer on the top side. The rubber washer is ridged on one side only. Does the ridged side go to the underside of the hole in the bath or is it the smooth side.

Are there any bath strainers that can be fitted from the top side of the bath to the plastic drain underneath without me having to go under the floor? It would obviously have to be screwed down onto the plastic pipe from the top.

Any other advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Make an access panel in your bath panel if there isn't one already - what are you going to do if the taps ever leak? You'll end up smashing the tiles to get at it in a hurry, much better to create an access now while there's no emergency

Thanks to you both.

The bath was lowered when installed and the front completely tiled for the look. As it has been lowered it may be difficult to stretch and reach the trap.

In respect of my method of replacing the trap with sealant top and bottom. Is this the correct procedure?

Does the ridged rubber washer face ridge upwards to the underside of the bath, or is it the converse?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I need to replace a bath trap because it cracked and broke up when the stainless steel strainer was being tightened.

The bath has been completely tiled in, so I have to go under the floor to replace the trap. A really very tight squeeze and hopefully my arms are long enough to reach the trap.

The carpet has to be lifted in an adjacent room to get under the floor, so I want to ensure that I get the trap replacement right first time, as I don't want to repeat the procedure.

I am going to wind ptfe tape around the plasic thread on the trap and apply sanitary silicone to both sides of the rubber washer on the underside and of course silicon to the underside of the strainer on the top side. The rubber washer is ridged on one side only. Does the ridged side go to the underside of the hole in the bath or is it the smooth side.

Are there any bath strainers that can be fitted from the top side of the bath to the plastic drain underneath without me having to go under the floor? It would obviously have to be screwed down onto the plastic pipe from the top.

Any other advice is appreciated.

WHAT CRACKED ? THE BATH ?.

Thanks to you both.

The bath was lowered when installed and the front completely tiled for the look. As it has been lowered it may be difficult to stretch and reach the trap.

In respect of my method of replacing the trap with sealant top and bottom. Is this the correct procedure?

Does the ridged rubber washer face ridge upwards to the underside of the bath, or is it the converse?

This is what I normally do (never had a bath waste leak so far):

Discard the thin sponge washer. Instead, apply sealant on the underside of the chrome bath waste making sure there is enoug to completely fill the gap, (sealant will squeeze out when tightened but just wipe away with a cloth).

Place the chrome waste into the hole.

Apply sealant to the underside of the bath around the hole.

Apply sealant into the recess of the plastic waste

Insert rubber washer into the plastic waste recess - I normally have the ribbed side facing the bath (some washers have a slot which fits snuggly onto the plastic waste.

Offer the whole thing up to the bath and screwin the long screw from the bath side making sure that it all sits in line and that the chrome side of it is level in the bath.

When all tightened up (do not over tighten) remove any excess sealant under the bath and smooth off with your finger.

Thanks to you both.

This is what I normally do (never had a bath waste leak so far):

Discard the thin sponge washer. Instead, apply sealant on the underside of the chrome bath waste making sure there is enoug to completely fill the gap, (sealant will squeeze out when tightened but just wipe away with a cloth).

Place the chrome waste into the hole.

Apply sealant to the underside of the bath around the hole.

Apply sealant into the recess of the plastic waste

Insert rubber washer into the plastic waste recess - I normally have the ribbed side facing the bath (some washers have a slot which fits snuggly onto the plastic waste.

Offer the whole thing up to the bath and screwin the long screw from the bath side making sure that it all sits in line and that the chrome side of it is level in the bath.

When all tightened up (do not over tighten) remove any excess sealant under the bath and smooth off with your finger.

Good advice Squeeks

That's how I'd do it too.

Thanks again. It seems you can't beat that sealant stuff!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back