BBQ hardwood decking area, well it is winter..

It's finally finished, I dug out the soil at the rear of the wall and installed a french drain to direct the water away. The rear of the wall was also sealed with bitumen and a waterproof membrane which has made it a lot drier - no wet mortar is noticeable at all now.
If anyone can recommend a slate sealer that gives a 'wet look' then please let me know

Sponsored Links
Nice job there, I've been looking at hardwood decks myself so thanks for sharing your build.

No problem, IMHO it's definitely worth spending the extra money on quality wood as you'll be looking at it every day

.....as an aside, I went for the Lithofin Slate sealer which has done the job. It will probably need re-applying every year but it brings out the beautiful colour of the slate.

Sponsored Links
Well done, I've followed this project a bit from my usual forum lurking for tips etc and the finish looks excellent.

Hi,

Silva timber, they've a couple of showrooms and deliver. I managed to haggle a tiny bit on the price, think they send samples too.

Thanks for that. They've got a place in Speake so pretty closeby to me too.

Excellent.

Ok so I thought I'd post an update in case anyone is wondering about durability or how hardwood decking stands up to the elements.

Well safe to say I haven't had a problem with it, even in winter it doesn't get slippery. In early spring I (contrary to what someone posted earlier on) powerhose the decking and give it a coat of sealer which makes it look like new. The original depth of color has obviously faded with the UV exposure but I like the silvery tone it has acquired.

If I was to give any advice on this project I would simply say to save up and go the extra mile when it comes to the quality of wood you use, it really does make a difference.

Looks nice, I hope that lasts many years. May be worth buying a sprayer for the future coats of protection?

Nozzle

Looks great,

Nice to see you made great use of the space you had.

Enjoy the summer & BBQ's (when the sun comes out) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back