Hard wood decking types/colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there kind people of DIYnot.
I need some advice please.
We wanted to change our dated stone patio to some nice wood decking. I have bought some weathered hard wood decking locally. It was really cheap (I think £3/m +VAT is cheap) so I did not mind that it needs to get washed and treated. I was told that the wood is massaranduba.
It has been delivered yesterday so this afternoon out of curiosity I have cleaned a few of them just wanted to see if they can be cleaned and what they would look clean. I used proper decking cleaner solution for the job. Most of them I had no problem cleaning so no complaints there.
After washing them it seemed clear that roughly half of them are some sort of a red wood the other half are yellow. When dry from a distance they can be sold as very similar but I planned to wash and treat them properly to give them a wet/new look. My problem is when they're wet they are so different if I mixed them they'd look like a job you made out of leftovers.
If there is a hardwood/decking expert out there would you be kind enough to answer me the following question:
Could those different coulour decking boards be of the same species of wood? Have I been mislead by the timber yard? I don't want to make a fool of myself going there complaining about it only to be told that it's the same wood only different colour. If all of them were yellow or red but different shades I'd have no problem whatsoever. We like the look of them both separately but not together or mixed.
Also if I'm right suspecting that I have been sold two batches different types of wood but can't get them swapped by the seller is there any sort of long term solution to stain/varnish one of the colours to look similar to the other?

Any advice or help is much appreciated

Laz

Attachments

• IMG_20170603_145348.jpg
    IMG_20170603_145348.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20170603_151149.jpg
    IMG_20170603_151149.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20170603_151159.jpg
    IMG_20170603_151159.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20170603_152215.jpg
    IMG_20170603_152215.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 247
Sponsored Links
The grain looks very similar so I expect it's a hardwood with a wide range of variation. Quick search for that wood type suggests it varies from deep red to yellow. Personally I think it looks good providing you avoid blocks of similar colour. There are very few products that will achieve a uniform stain on hardwood of that colour variation, that won't require regular attention, which defeats the object of a hardwood decking.

Thank you Mattice,
so it seems that I was given what was promised it's just my misfortune that they look so different. I thought the same about staining what you have just said that it would not last long and would be a pain to re do it every 6 months or year. I'll have to find another solution or learn to live with a mixed red and yellow decking (me and my first world problems...)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back