Be prepared

disposing of public assets below their true market value and would therefore be wasting public funds.
We had a scandal around here in the early eighties. Havering council sold off a whole bunch of graveyards to developers, with the understanding that they were not to build on the sites for 100 years. The price was just 5 pence. Their argument against the public outcry was that these developers were actually taking on the liability of their upkeep, and therefore doing us all a favour. After a massive amount of complaints that the new owners were not maintaining the sites, the council slapped a compulsory purchase on the owners, and bought the whole lot back for several million pounds :eek: Not a bad return on their 5 pence investment in less than a year. :evil:

Sponsored Links
I remember this story, and the arguments over the legalities of whether the council had the power to have sold off public amenities at such a low cost in the first place.
Developers being the sort of creatures they are will seize on the oppurtunity to make a fast buck but in this case they should have been fined heavily for non maintanance as per agreement to sale. and the compulsory purchase should have been for th same amount as it was sold for as no improvement works had taken place.
Was any "conflict of interest" connection between council members and the developers brought to the attention of the media in this case?

One can only hope that the 'opposition' within the council would be on any real misdemeanor in a flash .... Would not hold my breath tho' !

Here is another :-
Click Link for sell-off
Do not like this
'There are constraints on the site, which have affected the value. I cannot go into detail because other parties are affected'.
Twas the ratepayers land for Gods sake, if they are not allowed to be party to all details of the sale then the land should be rendered un-sellable ... We remain mugs .. !! :) :)

Sponsored Links
At the bottom of all of these problems is the "old boys" network in the planning offices. Those with the funny handshakes can get unbelievable deals, while obstructive practices are used to ensure that "with planning permission" demands a massive premium. :evil:

Back