To hell with Party Wall Act??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've been granted planning approval for a loft conversion and side extension on our semi bungalow. I'm a building contractor, registered electrician, Gas safe registered, G3, MCS, CHAS etc etc but to be honest I have never been too involved with planning permission and Party Wall matters, only with building control, architects, surveyors etc (I just build things! :))

It's been much more stressful than I thought despite being in the trade, as one of my neighbors was not happy with the height of the wall on single storey side extension. The neighbor is always polite but meanwhile her son who does not live there has been writing letters in an attempt to scupper our plans. He also has tried to get me to do their driveway for free if I kept the boundary wall 2.0m high which is ridiculous. Anyway the planning dept granted us permission and I've given building notice etc, I use a private BC inspector.

Now I was thinking the neighbor wouldn't be too happy and would want to be difficult, so I thought I'd better do things 'by the book' and give party wall notice and hope they ok it. I selected a local firm, who's prices seemed cheap. I signed the letter below to authorize proceedings:

"*I/We hereby appoint you as Building Owner’s Surveyor, should a dispute arise, in accordance with the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 in relation to the works proposed at 4 Roseleigh Close, Maidenhead, SL6 5AJ.

*I/We authorise you to sign, issue, serve, receive and respond to all notices under the Party Wall Etc Act 1996 (“the Act”) relating to the works proposed, although the initial notice has been served on our behalf prior to this appointment. *I/We further authorise you to make all requests and appointments under the Act on our behalf, which may be necessary to expedite the progress of the matter.

*I/We further appoint you to undertake a Schedule of Condition of the neighbouring property regardless of their consent or dissent to the notice served."

The quotation given by the PWS is:

"Thank you for asking me to provide a fee quotation for party wall services.
Our aim is to make the party wall process as seamless and traightforward as possible. If you have any queries about what is involved, please do not hesitate to contact me at any
time. I confirm that our current hourly rate is £120 plus disbursements and VAT. However, since the scope of your project is very clear, we would be happy to work on the basis of a fixed price fee structure, as follows. It appears that 2 adjoining properties fall within the scope of the Act. We will need to establish the owner/occupiers of these properties and serve the appropriate notices. It is
noted that a tenant resides at Nr x and as such we will need to contact the freeholder. Our fee for reviewing the drawings, establishing owner details and serving the applicable notices is £55 plus VAT.
If an adjoining owner dissents from a notice, then under the Act, surveyors will need to be appointed and a party wall award will need to be drawn up. The award will include details of the proposals that are likely to affect the neighbouring owners and clauses such as those relating to insurance, hours of work and access. Our fee for acting as the Building Owner’s or Agreed surveyor in drawing up an award is £350 plus VAT.
Our fee for preparing a schedule of the condition of the adjoining properties prior to your
building works is £350 plus VAT per adjoining property, this will be reduced to £300 per adjoining property if we are able to undertake both surveys on the same day. Under the Act, if the adjoining owner dissents to a notice, a schedule of condition must be undertaken (subject to access being granted). If the adjoining owner consents to the notice, then the schedule of condition is optional, although we recommend that you opt to have one prepared - as this will help to safeguard you in case the adjoining owner claims that your building works have caused damage to their property.
For budgeting purposes, please note that Section 10(13) of the Act states that, in normal circumstances, the fees incurred in making or obtaining an award shall be paid by you as the building owner. This will include paying the fees and costs of the adjoining owners, if they choose to appoint their own surveyor. We will help to vet the adjoining owner’s fees to ensure they are reasonable.
I confirm that our fixed price quotation is inclusive of all work that I envisage being necessary, including all items listed in the enclosed scope of services document. I look forward to hearing from you soon and I hope to have the opportunity to assist you
with your project.
Yours sincerely,"

So, the first notice has been served, no response by either neighbour. The 10 day letter has been given and we are waiting for an answer. meanwhile I ran into the neighbor today and I asked them about the PWA etc. The owner said that they do not read English, despite living here for 50 years, and that the son deals with such matters. Coincidentally the son has gone on vacation yesterday for 30 days.

I have a few concerns. Am I being unnecessarily delayed, and am I leaving the door open to lots of expenses? It feels that way.

I feel like calling the whole Party Wall 'thing' off and starting work. To hell with them all and their injunctions! :) Key question, can I stop proceedings with my appointed surveyor? How would I do this and what costs am I legally responsible to pay. I don't mind paying for services to date etc. The reason I'm asking is that I mentioned that I would like to stop proceedings to the PWS and they said " Unfortunately you cannot withdraw notices unless you are not intending to carry out works and as such both sides must be legally notified and must then respond or enter into awards."

Has anyone got any input on my predicament, as I'm about ready to bring in the digger and make some holes.

Sponsored Links
You've got to weigh up the risk? The difference between doing the work under a PWA is that if damage occurs then any claim will be limited to putting right actual damage. In other words if a few cracks appear on the neighbours side you will have to pay to have them repaired. If you do the works without a PWA then any claim could extend beyond actual damage - i.e. you might get a claim for stress, disruption, etc, etc, as well as any damage.

Of course there might not be any damage in which case it would be difficult to justify any claim at all. What do you think the liklihood of damage is? Is it an old house with shallow founds that might well crack and move? Or is it a newish place? Do you know the depth of your dig? Obviously the deeper it is the more likly there will be movement next door. If you dig is going to be exactly the same as next door then the chance of movement is a lot less.

The final risk is that they seek an injunction to stop work. This isn't an easy process so they would have to be very determined. Sounds to me like they wouldn't do it themselves but the son might - isn't he away at the moment??

One other point to note is that PW awards can't be done retrospectively. So once the excavation is done that's it.

Just picking up where Jeds left off-
Why not just talk to PWS and try to close out with them for the Notices fee of £55+VAT.

You can't get legal contract advice here based upon some of the documents or even all of them.

All I would say is, if you do agree a termination of services with PWS just confirm it in writing stating the amount agreed.

You should then write to your neighbours advising them PWS are no longer acting for you.

The fact that they cannot read English is very much not your problem. You served the correct notice, they have 10 days to respond. If they cannot read English and so cannot respond in the required time frame that is their problem. My understanding with PW Act is that failure to respond in the given time frame is given as implicit indication that they have no objections.

Sponsored Links
The fact that they cannot read English is very much not your problem. You served the correct notice, they have 10 days to respond. If they cannot read English and so cannot respond in the required time frame that is their problem. My understanding with PW Act is that failure to respond in the given time frame is given as implicit indication that they have no objections.

Wrong - They have 14 days to respond after which, if they do nothing, a dispute is regarded to have arisen.

I understand and sympathise with your problem fd3typer2. What is position now? You need to be very careful to avoid costs escalating that will end up at your door. One way is to execute the work in such a way that it no longer falls under the PWA (i.e. keep foundations no deeper than next door, avoid putting steels in the PW etc.), another way is to persuade your neighbour to consent. Nothing wrong with you offering them something in return for their consent either.

At any time, the whole "dispute resolution" process with surveyors and fees falls away as soon as the neighbour decides to consent. Contrary to what some PW surveyors might tell you, they do not have to proceed with an award and should stop all work and close their file as soon as the neighbour decides to consent.

Hi. I've read the above and am worried about finding ourselves in the same situation. I'll be as concise as possible, but the background is necessary. We live in the end (lower) house of a four-house Victorian terrace. We need more ground floor space so have applied for permission to extend our kitchen at the back with a flat-roof 4 metre extension. This has been granted despite our neighbour objecting. This neighbour has a UPVC conservatory with a high window on the side which overlooks our garden. Their objection was based on their belief that they are entitled to light through this window across our garden and once we've built the extension, there will be less light.

We know they are p****d off about us being granted permission and we know that they will now make life as difficult as possible for us.

In accordance with the Party Wall Act, I believe that we need to notify them of
(1) our intention to build against the current party wall.
(2) our intention to excavate for the foundations.

I believe that if they don't respond to (1), we're basically OK to go ahead but if the don't reply to (2), this is considered a dispute and the doors are opened to the ambulance chasers and money-for-old-rope merchants. Entirely at our cost !!

However they object, whether by doing nothing (2) or writing their objections (1), it will be malicious and simply intended to cause us extra cost and hassle. Is there anything that we can do to prevent this ? Would I be better off not notifying them and hope they can't be bothered/can't afford to pursue a court injunction. They are fit pensioners.

Any thoughts / ideas / suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Anything that you are required to serve them notice about can potentially result in a "dispute" arising if they don't respond or respond negatively. That looks like both your points 1 and 2 to me.

See my posting before yours though. There are probably ways of constructing your extension to avoid the need to serve notice. If there are in your case then just do it that way. The notices you have already served would no longer be applicable if you change your construction method to avoid the application of the PWA.

Hi. Thanks for your thoughts. I've attempted to read the act, or at least the explanatory booklet available from http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/...33214.pdf, there appears to a crucial difference between a notification of excavation and a notification to build against a party wall:

1. Section 31, para 3 states that if the neighbour does not respond to a notification to build against a junction line, the work can go ahead. - The implication being that silence equals consent.

2. Para 5 of the same sections states that if the neighbour does not reply to a notification to excavate, a dispute is assumed.

This distinction matters to us. If our neighbours realise that in order to make our life's difficult, they simply have to do nothing (excavation notification), that's precisely what they'll do.

Part of me wonders if it might be wise just to notify them of the intention to build against the wall. If/when they do nothing, we can just crack on. Dodgy, I know, but like I said. If they can find a way of screwing us, they will.

The paras you are quoting from part 31 of the explanatory book are aimed at an adjoining owner. Silence never means consent. Para 3 advises that ignoring a notice can lead to a wall being built on the line of junction, but a dispute still arises if he fails to consent. The dispute would involve a party wall being made which would permit building on the line of junction though.

Can you not build just off the boundary? 50mm would probably be enough to avoid the application of s.1.

If you think they will be looking to screw you, then be very concerned that they might issue an injunction as soon as you start work without consent or an award. I have a client who did that and is now facing a bill of thousands in legal fees, and is extremely stressed by the worry of it all.

Your choices are;

1) Serve notice and appoint a pw surveyor if they dissent (you could agree to their selection of surveyor in which case costs for a party wall award should be under £1,000)

2) Redesign the scheme to avoid the application of the PWA

3) Persuade your neighbour to consent. Maybe offer to pay his choice of surveyor to prepare a brief condition report on his property. Like an informal party wall procedure, but less expensive and you have more control over costs.

Then don't serve a notice.

Play dumb, and get the foundations in as quick as possible, and keep the wall 10mm off the boundary.

Assuming the neighbours have not got Solicitors on standby and wont bother seeking an injunction

Dangerous, Woody! How would you know if he had a solicitor poised to jump or not? Some people have nothing better to do than to watch their neighbours very carefully just waiting for them to give an excuse to take them to law. If there is bad blood already, you can bet they will try

In the case of the client I mentioned, the injunction was issued after work was completed by the (elderly) neighbour. Wrong I know, and I hope that my client will win at court, but the other side has a barrister and solicitor both arguing that the injunction was right and costs are running into many thousands. The stress is not worth it fort the sake of a few hundred quid spent now.

If there's the possibility that you'll need to spend £1k to follow the PWA process, is it worth offering next door £500 for their agreement.

My neighbours didn't have a problem with our build, but I still gave them £250 for the inconvenience - money well spent!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back