beading showing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had my office skimmed, left it 4 weeks before applying mist coat and I did notice at the time that the plaster around the edging beads was a darker colour. I've now applied my first coat of emulsion and I can see a lighter tone where the beading is. I've read on forums that a way over this is to either apply an oil undercoat or a stain stop solution but I have a couple of questions around this...

1) I assume I only under coat the areas in question then feather the undercoat out?

2) Will Dulux Matt emulsion be ok over oil based undercoat?

Gutted as I have just enough paint for two coats and this is going to take me to three :( A little disappointing really as I paid the money to get a decent skim and feel this is somewhat below standard...

Sponsored Links
Dunno what you expect of the plasterer, he can't alter the physics of the world we live in. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

@ joe-90

being ignorant I know nothing about this so thought it was probably an issue related to plastering as I've never experienced it before... Not trying to give the guy a bad name just thought it might have been an issue with the job...

Anyway, I'm going to add an image to this thread in the hope someone might be able to offer a solution.

Just run the roller up the corners and let it dry before doing the second coat.

Sponsored Links
Thought a couple of images might help explain the issues, sure you guys come across this on a daily basis:

So here is a shot of the corner 4 weeks after being skimmed

I applied a mist coat, then once dry applied my first coat of dulux matt emulsion and 12hrs later this is what it looks like:

I see that I have a few choices:

1) lets it dry, paint round the window and door reveals, lets it dry then cut in again and apply my final coat over everything giving the reveals three coats

2) Buy grey oil based undercoat, paint the whole room then buy another load of emulsion and repaint it

3) paint just round reveals with oil based undercoat, feathering out a few inches then repaint with emulsion, perhaps having to buy more so I can give it two more coats

Thanks for any help

In the first pic the edge was not dry eneough to paint in my view.

But as you have painted just go ahead as I said, option 1 in your list. The worst that will happen is a bit of flaking on the edge at some point.

Painting with oil based will not help it to dry out.

As footprints says it wasn't dry before you painted it, plaster around windows and doors always takes longer.
Very bad idea to put anything oil based onto wet plaster as you will get saponification which is a soapy leaching through the plaster, glad you didn't do that. You need to apply a stain block to the area as its highly likely you'll get a water stain coming through your finish coat.
None of this has got anything to do with your plasterer.

@footprints

you know that was my first thought but I checked every few days to see if the darker areas were contracting however they seemed to stay the same size, in the end I left it just under 5 weeks before painting but maybe the pressure to get in got the better of me :(

@dcdec

Bugger, I should have been more patient! Is there a particular stain stop I should go for? Will it be ok to just apply it to the areas in question then two coats of emulsion over the top?

As dcdec says you may get water staining but if you want just try painting with the emulsion and see, you can always use stain block later if needed.
I would go for zinsser bullseye 123 if you want to use it as that is water based rather than solvent.

wonder if i'm just better biting on the bullet and doing the stain stop now as it will be much easier then in the future...

Seems like there are a few Zinsser 1-2-3 stain stops out there!

this one seems to be the standard and is available in grey and most places will carry it as a stock item but sounds like it's no good with water stains:

Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer & Stain Killer
http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...llseye-1-2-3-primer-sealer---stain-killer/588

or this new product which is only available in white, is nearly three times the prices and will be a special order but it's ok for water stains:

Zinsser BULLS EYE 1-2-3 *PLUS
http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.u...roducts/zinsser-bulls-eye-1-2-3--plus---/1343

Standard 123 in white is fine for stains two coats max, looks like they are trying to launch a super premium priced product to me!

Zinsser is a US product, perhaps they were worried about the economy going bust and after "A few dollars more" or maybe "Now this is Zinsser the most powereful stain blocker in the world do you feel lucky?" :D

Regards,
footprints

Use cheapo oil undercoat. Never fails.

So two coats of tinted Zinsser and it was looking good, another coat of emulsion and I can still see faint marks... Reading more online it actually seems like the marks are more likely due to PVA residue rather than water marks.

I've had tons of rooms skimmed over the years and never painted before it's dry and I believe this time was no exception, I checked daily and waited nearly 5 weeks and the marks didn't get smaller. Seems like the only option like Joe-90 said is to use a cheap oil based undercoat to give the emulsion something to stick to...

Expensive lesson really as i'll have to buy undercoat, paint to cover plus I had to buy Zinsser :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back