Beam above bi fold doors

https://alutechsystems.co.uk/wp-con...-Bifolding-Doors-brochure-Alutech-Systems.pdf page 2 head detail, the joint looks as per the book but it shouldn't be rippled like that in any case, might be worth getting a rep out if possible.

You can get pvc strips (or you used to be able) to cover exposed lintels like this but they'd be slipped over the flange before the dpc and masonry was built on top, retrofitting is not an option here without some major remedial works, the builder's an idiot, is he honourable though? Even if you painted it fastidiously once a year it'll always be vulnerable, I'd be more concerned about it rusting where you can't see it and the mastic seal failing and water penetrating.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I enjoy watching some of this guys stuff. I think the doors in this video have a similar seal along the top of the doors.

https://alutechsystems.co.uk/wp-con...-Bifolding-Doors-brochure-Alutech-Systems.pdf page 2 head detail, the joint looks as per the book but it shouldn't be rippled like that in any case, might be worth getting a rep out if possible.

You can get pvc strips (or you used to be able) to cover exposed lintels like this but they'd be slipped over the flange before the dpc and masonry was built on top, retrofitting is not an option here without some major remedial works, the builder's an idiot, is he honourable though? Even if you painted it fastidiously once a year it'll always be vulnerable, I'd be more concerned about it rusting where you can't see it and the mastic seal failing and water penetrating.
Thanks so much for your comments. Will check the link.

Regarding the exposed metal, I am stuck with this now as builder is refusing to recognise the issue. He is more of a business man than honourable, but will listen to any proposed solution. He still thinks the paint will sort! I agree with you that the build is wrong but not sure of any practical fix.

Thanks so much for your comments. Will check the link.

Regarding the exposed metal, I am stuck with this now as builder is refusing to recognise the issue. He is more of a business man than honourable, but will listen to any proposed solution. He still thinks the paint will sort! I agree with you that the build is wrong but not sure of any practical fix.
Is the builder you're referring to the one that installed the beam, or just the doors? If they installed the beam, they should be able to advise how it's been installed behind the brickwork, however you're reliant on them telling you the truth! I've seen numerous YT vids where brickwork is being removed thus exposing the beam, only for issues to be exposed re incorrect installation.

I think as touched on earlier in this thread, unless you're up for having brickwork removed, the only thing you can probably do is treat the exposed section and check it at least annually, re-treating if required. I'm not sure if there's an easier way to perhaps check the installation from inside the property, however that would still require a degree of removing plasterboard etc to gain access.

Sponsored Links
Is the builder you're referring to the one that installed the beam, or just the doors? If they installed the beam, they should be able to advise how it's been installed behind the brickwork, however you're reliant on them telling you the truth! I've seen numerous YT vids where brickwork is being removed thus exposing the beam, only for issues to be exposed re incorrect installation.

I think as touched on earlier in this thread, unless you're up for having brickwork removed, the only thing you can probably do is treat the exposed section and check it at least annually, re-treating if required. I'm not sure if there's an easier way to perhaps check the installation from inside the property, however that would still require a degree of removing plasterboard etc to gain access.

Thanks Diy fun for your comments.

I am still not happy with the builder for the exposed metal plate and have come to an impasse. The builder put in beams and the doors were fitted by separate company. Anti rust paint is ridiculous!

On the inside he Is still to box up and it looks like the attached. Shows how he has bricked up the outside of the I beam.

He states he will insulate to counter cold bridging!!

Thanks

Attachments

• 810CC601-60AA-41A5-8D35-DCF630B5020A.jpeg
    810CC601-60AA-41A5-8D35-DCF630B5020A.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 81
Out of interest the Structural Engineer I used specified a separate Galvanised Angle Lintel for the head. He said that was to avoid corrosion and cold bridging.

I've just raised a question about it in another thread in the Building Section here:

Same with the head.

The detail supplied by the door company is this:

View attachment 273163

But the Structural Engineer specified a separate galvanised angle lintel.

Again, could I just bridge the cavity with timber?

View attachment 273164

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back