Bi folds or French doors?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an extension going up and the opening's 2.15m wide. I'd like bi folds, but my builder thinks they'll take up about 60cm folded and he reckons French doors would be better for such a small opening.

Views please both from those who've fitted small bi folds and those in the know!

Sponsored Links
You'd really have to go aluminium for a 2.1 opening as the dividing framework would be much slimmer than a pvcu door. Trouble is, it's more expensive.

Otherwise French doors and specify 4 hinges per door to avoid sagging in the distant future.

French windows will look nicer. Fixed sidelights and two opening doors of the largest possible size, rebated overlap with no central pillar, to give you a good wide opening.

Don't forget cabin hooks to hold them open and mortice rackbolts top and bottom of both leaves as well as your mortice lock. A Chubb 3G220 is BS compliant and narrow stile for this kind of job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back