Beam to support Patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My builder is building an extension which is 3800mm wide by 3000mm .

At the 3800mm end I wanted a open patio door of 3000mm. But he is saying that he has to put in 300mm to support the beam at both sides.

But surely - 3800 - 300 - 300 equals a 3200mm gap. but he is saying that he needs 300mm away from the side walls?

is this right?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Assuming that 3800 is the outside dimension, you also have to allow for the thickness of the bricks as you will not want the beam sticking out either end, also if it also goes on the inner skin you presumably have to make allowances for the cavity.
I'm not a builder though and may be talking rubbish.

structurally, you must have 675mm returns at each end, regardless of lintel bearing.

unless a structural engineer can prove otherwise.

assuming these walls are the free external ends of an extension that is. :rolleyes:

noseall said:
structurally, you must have 675mm returns at each end, regardless of lintel bearing.

unless a structural engineer can prove otherwise.

assuming these walls are the free external ends of an extension that is. :rolleyes:

My calculator says maximum width of patio doors 2450 then.

Sponsored Links
Because of this and your previous post re: maximum permitted glazing area, I assume this job is being done under Building Notice rather than Full Plans. This perfectly illustrates the inherent problem with this method of approval. Fine if all parties (client, builder and local authority) have a clear understanding of expected outcome and working method, otherwise, as in this case..let's just say headless chickens come to mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back