Beams and Wet Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We could really do with some advice with some stuff - we recently purchased an old house which is around 200 years old, the downstairs wet room we are gutting and removing everything except the toilet and hand basin.

The issue is the drain where the water was running, there is a slight smell coming from this and we are wanting to block it up.

Is there such a thing as a cap for the pipe?
My idea is to cap off the pipe then put down some visquine and then concrete over it bringing the area up to the floor level.

Here is a picture.
wetroom.jpg

Any feedback would be great for this.

The other area we need some advice is with old exposed beams.
The house has no insolation or sound proofing between the floors, all the wires and pipes run along the beams and are visible.
We love the look of the beams but understand that we will have to sacrifice several inches to cover up wires/pipes and also add insolation or sound proofing.

The beams are 7 inch in depth and we are looking at using/losing up 3 inches.

The question is do I use kingspan and wooden fixings to hold them in place - I can then screw plasterboard onto the wooden fixings and skim the boards between the beams.

Please could someone help or advise us on options we have, some say use soft board to dampen sound and others say use kingspan to add to insulating. - Can we combine both?

Here are some pics which might help.
beams.jpg

beams2.jpg

There are a lot of other things we might need some help with but I will leave those for another time.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Drain. Break it out to a bigger hole, ram old cement bag down, rattle a shovel concrete down it, then pour quarter bucket cement slurry down, then concrete.
Beams, stick and gun 38 by full 50mm batten down each side tight to boards. Infill with 50mm cavity batts. plasterboard and skim. If this does not deaden it down enough tackle the problem with sound proofing underlay up above.
old un.

Thanks theoldun I had not heard of Rockwool Cavity bats before, I am really new to all this stuff.

I had a quick look on google and think I found the ones you mention.

http://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=3893

I will look into this, as for the drain - someone had mentioned filling it with concrete I will also look at doing what you mentioned above.

Thanks a lot for the advice I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
6 months on and we almost have the downstairs bathroom finished (just need a mirror and some doors making for the cabinet)

Old Toilet
downstairstoilet1.jpg

Drain from shower covered
downstairstoilet.jpg

Room emptied
downstairstoilet2.jpg

How it looks now
downstairstoilet3.jpg

We used proper oak flooring which goes through the hallway to the front door.

As for the ceillings, in the end we went for 2 inch roof/tile lats and a jab lite type 8 by 4 sheet which we cut down and inserted between the roof lat.

insulatedceilling.jpg

insulatedceilling2.jpg

We are now living in the property and have a 3 year plan to try and get the placed finished, we found that the staircase was rotten and not a standard size so had to have one made.

Also had cottage type doors made and pipes boxed in most rooms - still have a long way to go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back