Bear Gryllis Survivor

In your opinion do you think this programme justified the killing and suffering of those creatures?

• Yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sponsored Links
I agree with Tim on the Celebrity Jungle thing, they may only be cockroaches or meal worms - but why stand on them? I just find the whole ethos unsavoury

I've never tried eating an whole ethos..but as for unsavoury, try more malt vinegar and pepper..

I didn't see this particular show, but I have seen many other survival shows including some of the other Bear Grylls shows...

I have to say that to me, he comes across as a complete prat! He has no real idea about survival and clearly hasn't received any extensive training and if he has, he is too foolish to apply it. Every show that I have seen of his, he has almost killed himself by not even following the basics, like boiling water from a stream before drinking it. Ray Mears on the other hand is far more knowledgeable, confident and also more respectful of the land.

But at the end of the day, what these shows are trying to do is show modern day people the basics on survival, as they have forgotten how to survive!

Do you think in the middle of the rainforest there is a local Tesco or Asda? :rolleyes:

In a way you can't really compare this show with Ray Mears - Ray Mears shows tend to be geared up around surviving for long periods/living off the land whilst the bear grylls stuff seems to be get back to civilisation as quickly as possible and not die on the way - he also deliberately puts himself in hazardous situations as a 'this is how to get out of this'.

The most stupid thing I've ever seen him do was crossing a lava field - it was still molten underneath - his boots actually caught on fire at one point if I remember correctly and the soles definately melted - he could have gone through at quite a few points and that would've been it.

Sponsored Links
Ah, according to his website he was in the forces: SAS, but 21 (TA) not 22 (regs). Not that passing selection for the TA version is not a mean feat in itself. I've never watched his progs, but he seems from the comments on here that he may just be a bit of a bullshitter, who didn't pick up that much from his extensive survival training.

Then again, he apparently is the youngest British person to climb Everest, so he's got some gumption. And balls.

What pees me off about him is when he claims he's got somewhere damn nigh impossible - but took the camera crew anyway.

Just done a google on him and he's done a lot for charity, raising a lot of dosh.

Thanks for all the replies, Its interesting to gauge peoples response and feelings regarding this programmes content and also the way that some used analogies to try justifying what this person did, It shows the vastly different viewpoints that people have, whether I agree with all of them i have to say i don't but everyone is entitled to their opinions and how they judge whats right or wrong.

But this post was never about my telling others what they should or shouldn't think but rather me gauging what their reaction to it was and to vent my feelings as at the time i was very angry with what i had seen.

For me the argument about the justification for eating meat is covered by the system of humane and quick killing that we have in this country and the law and humane societies making sure of this, we have to rely on this system being monitored effectively of course and there are choices to be had regarding whether you eat meat reared humanely or not also.

One argument that it shows the modern day people the basics on survival seems a bit strange for the average city/town dweller as i cant see them needing those skills in the middle of oxford street for instance ;)

this is where the unnecessary killing argument was being put forward.
I did say i understood jungle dwellers way of life, whether they kill humanely or not i don't know and ignorance is the way to cope in those circumstances, there are many horrible things that go on in the world that thankfully we don't hear about, simply for the fact that to have heard about them would be so frustrating if you felt anger over it but could do little about it,
this was the frustration i felt with this programme, better i hadn't seen it and had been blissfully unaware of that poor creatures suffering but knowing it was done in the name of entertainment i found it extremely distasteful.

An interesting poll result also,

All in all it has bolstered my decision that I will have no more to do with watching this programme and in that respect its the best i can do.

Sponsored Links
Back