Bear Gryllis Survivor

In your opinion do you think this programme justified the killing and suffering of those creatures?

• Yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just watched this programme and wondered what the feelings of others who may have watched said programme is.

During the episode he travelled through the panamanian jungle and along his way he killed and ate creatures varying from grubs up to a river crab.

Now i'm not a sentimental old fool but i took the hump that just for a tv programme and not for the sake of real survival the last killing really showed the programme up for what it was, not entertainment but the unnecessary suffering and killing of a creature.

Basically he trod on this crab to stop it escaping then he stabbed it and picked it up with his knife it was still alive and moving.

He half heartedly smashed it down a few times in a vain attempt to kill or stun it I dont know but it was still moving even when he ripped it open and broke its claw off.

But to add insult to injury he took the meat from the claw into his mouth and promptly spat it out in disgust saying it tasted awful, then throwing the rest of I hope by then a dead carcass into the river.

Such an unnecessary waste of life and just for a tv programme!
The programme makers should be criticised heavily for the unnecessary suffering caused to a creature.

Had it been a cat or dog I wonder what the outcry would be.

Sponsored Links
To make matters worse the programme is a complete con. The guy spends the night in a hotel.

that programme is a load of rubbish, a lot (not all) of the things he £does" he doesnt. its off to somewhere nice when the camera is not filming

Never heard of this programme and don't think I want to either.

Don't like cruelty.

On a lighter note Tim, still no sign of Bolo. Used to live on this forum but is nowhere to be seen. :(

Sponsored Links
I know were you're coming from tw, but I think it's rooted in 'When in Rome....'.

Without wishing to appear to be name-dropping, when I crossed the Darien gap (Panama to Colombia) I pretty much ate what the locals ate, for a combination of reasons, fitting in being an important one.

You can't be sure who was out of camera shot, and how mercy shown to the crab might be interpreted.

I know were you're coming from tw, but I think it's rooted in 'When in Rome....'.

Without wishing to appear to be name-dropping, when I crossed the Darien gap (Panama to Colombia) I pretty much ate what the locals ate, for a combination of reasons, fitting in being an important one.

You can't be sure who was out of camera shot, and how mercy shown to the crab might be interpreted.
I take your point that killing out of necessity can be justified, I wouldnt have felt so bad had they been tribesmen doing it but he was basically a tv presenter and as stated above hed have gone home after filming to a nice hot meal in a hotel somewhere.
What really bugged me was he wasnt starving it was purely for the camera and in my opinion so unnecessary.

I for one won't be watching this programme anymore.

We've all got to eat. If he hadn't been munching on jungle creatures whilst on his travels he would've needed a packed lunch. Probably coronation chicken sandwiches and a peparami.
Either way an animal dies so he can eat, what's the problem?

So he threw bad meat away, what do you thinks happens in slaughterhouses, farms and shops up and down the country each and every day?

If you are a veggie yourself then I understand your p.o.v. but if you eat meat or fish then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

We've all got to eat. If he hadn't been munching on jungle creatures whilst on his travels he would've needed a packed lunch. Probably coronation chicken sandwiches and a peparami.
Either way an animal dies so he can eat, what's the problem?

So he threw bad meat away, what do you thinks happens in slaughterhouses, farms and shops up and down the country each and every day?

If you are a veggie yourself then I understand your p.o.v. but if you eat meat or fish then you really don't have a leg to stand on.

I think that the point is that he didn't eat it (or intend to) he just killed it for the camera.
Bear Grylls has been proven to be a fraudster, he stays in hotels overnight and plays around during the day making out he is a great explorer, ha ha ha. If you like that sort of TV watch Ray Mears who really does know his stuff, he has trekked out into all sorts of places and eaten some weird stuff.

Last weeks when he gutted the camel then climbed inside it was a bit manky

It's a crab, get over it. Next you'll be telling us they scream when they get popped into boiling water...

PS I'm a veggie - but only because I can't stand the taste of meat, not from any animal-huggin perspective (although I do have a problem with the way we kill (some) animals for food as well).

I assure you I dont go around huggin crabs :LOL: but you miss the point totally

Did Jamie Oliver not kill a chicken simply for the cameras, in a studio, several months ago? IIRC, he hung it up, stunned it, then bled it through its mouth. In front of a live audience.

What happened to the chicken? Frozen and sent to PDM to be made into glue. ;) (not allowed to throw it into bin, illegal)

I didnt see it Steve, what was the reaction of the audience? what was your reaction to it?

Was there evidence of suffering? ie was it a quick kill?

Sponsored Links
Back