Bear Gryllis Survivor

In your opinion do you think this programme justified the killing and suffering of those creatures?

• Yes

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I assure you I dont go around huggin crabs :LOL: but you miss the point totally
It's hardly up there with the puppy/kitten kicking and general animal abuse that appears on Youtube. So yes it is wrong (the crab thing), but it's not something that I can raise a head of steam about.

Shall we discuss Halal meat?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I can see both POV on this one.

Bear has survived through some awful situations whilst in the military and climbing everest. He does demonstrate some survival techniques and the use of animals I find... a bit uneccesary.

I guess we have all eaten a battery chicken in our time, and Ray Mears has used the same tricks in his shows.

The underlying point of these programmes is survival! Whether its set up or not, would you turn down a life saving drink or meal on the grounds it might hurt the creature? Tele is the only median that can experts can show us this.

Personally, once on the Isle of Whight, I had to survive on cheap beer and potted shrimp and I still have nightmares.

David

I assure you I dont go around huggin crabs :LOL: but you miss the point totally
It's hardly up there with the puppy/kitten kicking and general animal abuse that appears on Youtube. So yes it is wrong (the crab thing), but it's not something that I can raise a head of steam about.

Shall we discuss Halal meat?
And why is it not up there with puppy/kitten kickng? its a living creature.

As i said before i'm not against killing for necessity as long as its done humanely, but if you had watched this particular episode then perhaps you'd have seen the callous way he did the dirty deed and the fact it was totally unnecessary just rubbed it in further, I'm not one to criticise a programme if it showed an obviously artificial creature to show the technique i'd except it may look ridiculous but rather that than what was shown the other day, It was disgusting!

Sponsored Links
[And why is it not up there with puppy/kitten kickng? its a living creature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's cold-blooded, therefore feels no pain?

As i said before i'm not against killing for necessity as long as its done humanely, but if you had watched this particular episode then perhaps you'd have seen the callous way he did the dirty deed and the fact it was totally unnecessary just rubbed it in further...
I do understand that Tim and have much the same feelings, albeit that I can't get worked up particularly about a crab. I had the same problem of rationalising it when in the forces on survival courses: making worm omelettes, killing rabbits and chickens was not my scene (although I had to do it) and I spent a week's training in the jungle in Belize living off berries, as I rigged my traps just to make sure that I didn't catch anything!

Having said that, back in camp, I was happy to play the ring o' fire game with scorpions [make a shallow circular scrape, fill with fuel, stick scorpion in the middle, light fuel, watch scorpion try all way round to escape, realise no way out and commit suicide by sticking prongs in its own head], so there's clear ambiguity in my feelings.

[And why is it not up there with puppy/kitten kickng? its a living creature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's cold-blooded, therefore feels no pain?
That may be the case, I dont know? but some years back there was a court case involving a chef in a restaurant who threw prawns onto a hotplate instead of killing them first in boiling water apparently they squealed( may have just been the release of steam but who knows?), not sure of the outcome as i cant remember all the details but there was a long debate about whether such cold bloodied creatures felt pain or not and i remember some "experts " producing evidence that they may.

But even if proved false its was still the unnecessary waste of life in that programme that got me angry and the callous unfeeling way it was done after all that crab had as much right to live.

Im not 100% innocent i know, i am a meat eater but i can justify with myself and my own concience with the need to eat and id like to think that the animal was slaughtered humanely and not wastefully.

If i was silly enough to walk out into the african jungle and a lion mauled me to death for food then so be it(although id probably get the hump ;) ) thats nature, but again killing only for the need to eat.

Bear Grillys has lost ALL credibility for me. The programmes are obviously a con in so much as whilst this guy is puffing and panting battling the elements and supposedly climbing unclimbable rock faces, the camera men who are lugging a great load of filming equipment seem to do it without a problem. But where he really lost the plot was on that ridiculous episode were he and some other guy were to fly over the top of Mount Everest in a powered kite. What self respecting survivor or explorer would undertake such a stunt taking a totally untried and unrun engine to the high Himalayas and only then try to start the engine to see if it worked. Further the guy was about 30 miles form Mount Everest when they tried the silly attempt so they decided to just try to get up to 29,000ft just to say they had flown at the height of Mount Everest.
Just how stupid can anyone get, he could have tried to fly to 29,000ft in Buckinghamshire without the inconvenience of transporting untested engines, people and equipment to Nepal - The man and the programme are a waste of TV time.

One other point, I would hate for such a programme to desensitize us from worrying about suffering to creatures less down "the scale of importance" such like another programme i no longer watch( the first time put me off) "celebrity in a jungle" because of the unnecessary waste of life. To virtually raise something like that into an entertainment category I frankly find distasteful.

Perhaps these sort of programmes go someway into causing such apathy about suffering in general ( including human) around the world?

Perhaps these sort of programmes go someway into causing such apathy about suffering in general ( including human) around the world?
I think you're 100% right. Hear about the stabbing incident in the queue for Grand Auto Theft 4 in the night?

Mind you, why they can't all play nicely on MotoGP is beyond me :)

Just read an article on the stabbing, it beggars belief what some will do for such a petty thing as a video game?? :eek:

Whatever next? An argument over chewing gum?

One other point, I would hate for such a programme to desensitize us from worrying about suffering to creatures less down "the scale of importance" such like another programme i no longer watch( the first time put me off) "celebrity in a jungle" because of the unnecessary waste of life. To virtually raise something like that into an entertainment category I frankly find distasteful.

Tim there are loads of celebs, losing the odd one here and there is probably a good thing. :LOL:

I agree with Tim on the Celebrity Jungle thing, they may only be cockroaches or meal worms - but why stand on them? I just find the whole ethos unsavoury

Im not 100% innocent i know, i am a meat eater but i can justify with myself and my own concience with the need to eat and I'd like to think that the animal was slaughtered humanely and not wastefully.

So you happily tuck into dead animal flesh without knowing how it died or where it came from. But ummm, those bacon sandwiches sure are yummy!

You are naive at best. At least the crab wasn't intensively farmed whilst being fed crap and pumped full of antibiotics. So it was discarded, at least some other fish in the river got a meal out of it, no wastage as I can see.

If you don't like the program or the man, that's fine, but don't bring a dead crustacean into it.

Sponsored Links
Back