Becoming A Plumber

Kirkgas with respect as you are now classroom based and largely off the tools you see the trade very differently.

You also churn out new recruits funded by the taxpayer so have a vested interest in advising more newcomers into the industry.

The a.c.s system is just an indirect form of taxation as many people see it and is "jobs for the boys", many of the good engineers who are making a good living wouldn't consider a job at an a.c.s center and consider those who do largely as jobsworths and incompetents.

No offence intended.

Sponsored Links
£5k and 9 days, what are you doing for that. The figures/times i quoted are for CCN1 + 4,If you do training and assessment in our place it is £900 incl VAT for core +4 for 5 days during the week (in one full week) or 3 weekends.

Some require the extra day perhaps due to it being spread out, some finish in 5. a lot of guys need to come back as they havent finished all the work, so how come so many dont finish or moan about the cost but still take the training anyway.

Surely if you are on the ball you just need to chase up the changes from places like this and go straight in an sit the assessments

My core + 4 was £955, so not much different to yours. I had to do CPA1 this time, joke, then my LPG and RPH.

Most of my assessments were booked for full days, but I've always been away by 12 - 1:00pm at the latest, so in reality could have probably done 2 assessments in 1 day.

That £5k included around £3k lost earnings.

Kirkgas with respect as you are now classroom based and largely off the tools you see the trade very differently.

You also churn out new recruits funded by the taxpayer so have a vested interest in advising more newcomers into the industry.

The a.c.s system is just an indirect form of taxation as many people see it and is "jobs for the boys", many of the good engineers who are making a good living wouldn't consider a job at an a.c.s center and consider those who do largely as jobsworths and incompetents.

No offence intended.

none taken at all, we all have a different opinion/slant on what we think is the right way, i do advocate the OP goes for a plumbing apprenticeship which is the No:1 choice for us all IF it is available, but there are many on here who admit they are not 3-4 yr time served but have came in from another route and are doing perfectly fine, as it stands at the moment the ACS sysytem is what it is until someone changes it then thats what we have to measure competence,

i know a lot of good engineers who wouldn't want to work in a centre or college as paperwork and procedures aren't their thing but they respect what i do, i get time served guys in all the time who moan about 5 yr assessments who still take training and dont pass, haha their fsce is a picture, they moan and groan about everything being crap, apart from admitting they are just too slow to get through the assessments in 3 days, who's fault is that, when they make comments like " this is crap, nothing changes every 5 yrs, this is pointless" well if nothing changes how come they cant finish in 3 days, and how come loads of installer/kitchen fitters are still coming in and dont know about FSD's in multi occupancy dwellings etc.

yes there are some who might say i am a jobsworth/incompetant who cant cut it in the real world, but have a guess if those are the guys who ccome in and fly through everything cause they know what they are doing, or the ones who need shown 3 times how to gas rate and check IV is less than 0.035m3 BEFORE they start work on it and have failed

Sponsored Links
yes there are some who might say i am a jobsworth/incompetant who cant cut it in the real world, but have a guess if those are the guys who ccome in and fly through everything cause they know what they are doing, or the ones who need shown 3 times how to gas rate and check IV is less than 0.035m3 BEFORE they start work on it and have failed

Please sir, I know the answer to that one ;)

Had some in on my re-assessment. One can only wonder how they have ever done the job :rolleyes:

. I'm 16 and don't want to pursue my education into doing I.T in college so I want to learn a trade and I want to do plumbing.

What is the best route to become a plumber? How long does it take?

Any other general advice and information would be great.

it.
Have you seen that TV programme - Life on Mars :?: THAT , my friend is the only way to get a proper plumbing training :LOL: :LOL: be 16 in 1970 like me . Then live with the shyte beer and music for a decade . Then Thatcherism for another decade . House prices will rise from £5k to £150k over that time - but if you`re lucky , you`ll wing it like I did :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

. I'm 16 and don't want to pursue my education into doing I.T in college so I want to learn a trade and I want to do plumbing.

What is the best route to become a plumber? How long does it take?

Any other general advice and information would be great.

it.
Have you seen that TV programme - Life on Mars :?: THAT , my friend is the only way to get a proper plumbing training :LOL: :LOL: be 16 in 1970 like me . Then live with the shyte beer and music for a decade . Then Thatcherism for another decade . House prices will rise from £5k to £150k over that time - but if you`re lucky , you`ll wing it like I did :cool: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

There is a NEW perogative out there now, for apprenterchips (Sp!); hot off the press....

Anyone that has been unemployed for x amount of years, WILL be attached to an established company, for XYZ amount of weeks, to gain a qualification....regardless of their background, or their technical ability...so to be able to be an 'apprentice'..even if they are a fuwit! and disinterested in the job..

Back