Becoming a 'pro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I may be interested in training to be an electrician. I work in the electronics industry (so I know my way around an AVO), and I'm a keen DIYer (I re-wired a house a while back, checked and tailed into the meter by a bone-fide electrician of course). Can you give me any idea of what training I would need, and importantly (but probably impossible to do) how much could I expect to earn? (I know, how long is a piece of string and all that, but there must be some sort of range that wages fall into).
I'd appreciate any advice even if it's not what I want to hear...

regards paul

Sponsored Links
The easy one to start with is your income, it depends whether you are self employed or working for some one else. The rates for being employed can vary from £50 a day to £150 a day, obviously you can get more but it depends on your qualifications, age and your experience.

As self employed you have to run a business, could be a small one but yet it is still a business. The question is whether you are ready to do so, as your income can be much higher than working for a company but you will have to work many more hours, and if you don't get the good reputation you need you might earn nothing.

If you talk to 10 different people you will get 10 different answers, so my advice is go/call a college in your area, or search in the internet for courses in electrics. The reason that I advice you to go to a college is that they are much cheaper that the private courses but much longer which sometimes be an advantage. The most known courses are of the City & Guilds. The courses system was changed recently, the course that most people followed was C&G 2360 parts 1 and 2, and than more advanced courses if you wish.

Ask about the new courses that replaced the 2360. I would recommend to do the Inspection and testing course (C&G 2391), I think that you will need first to pass the basic courses first.
If you have any specific question please ask.

Without doubt, thebest training is 2360 followed by 2381 & 2391 and if you can do that as evening courses at your local college while you are still in employment als well and good.
Colleges local to me ask for them in that order so if you want the college route you have to start with 2360, a 2 year course.
The other options are where you see yourself working, if you want to go it alone into domestic you can do the EAL domestic installer certificate which ranges from 5 days at a private centre (around £1000) to 10 evenings at college. This is the minimum and should be backed up with 2381 & 2391.
I guess if your wanting to work for someone you'll need 2381 & 2391.

Of course this is just the educational qualifications, you then need to think how to get the experience.

Best of luck with the future

I don't know wethere the 2360 course still exists, if so I will recommend.

Concerning the 2381 this course is the 16th edition regulations course. If you do a basic comprehensive course like the 2360 part 1+2, I don't think that you need the 2381, because your course curriculum will be based on the 16th edition. I am registered for part P for all electrical systems, I was asked about this course, I argued, and did not have to do it. This course is good for people that were trained many ears ago and are not familiar with the new regulations.

As I mentioned in my previous post, 2391- inspection and testing, it is relatively short course and highly recommended it opens many doors.

Sponsored Links
Paul
Just to add my two penn'th.

Like you I have had a background in electronics and have qualifications in C&G Radio & TV and Telecomms technicians, ending up in IT when the computer field service career became job that could be performed by a squirrel witha screwdriver.

I managed to get exemption from 2360 pt1 because of my previous quals but took the exams and had to do the assignments anyway. I also took 2691 and the previous poster is right, 2381 is unnessesary if you have 2360 pt2 in the last 3 years.
Some colleges offer a practical course so that you can learn how to do it properly, if your college is progressive then they will have facilities that simulate a working enviroment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back