Bed shakes in new loft conversion when windy

Sorry - me again!

Bedroom is still shaking in the wind.

I want to get it sorted out. What I want to know is, if I get a structural engineer round to check it out and it is discovered that the conversion is dangerous, do I have any rights against either the building control company who passed it or the original builders? Can I claim from either to cover the cost of rectifying it?

I read this thread awhile ago and have only just read through the last page today. You've obviously not done anything to resolve this issue, just seems you're looking for someone to blame or claim from.
But you need to get the facts first of all, get the structural engineer around as soon as possible and take it from there. Get the facts first.
What are you waiting for, the roof to collapse in the next strong wind ? If people are living in this house you need to take responsibility and action. If the roof was to collapse after all this time then you must now take some of the "blame" for not getting it sorted sooner.

If you thought the brakes were faulty on your car would you leave them until you had an accident ! ! !

Sponsored Links
I just came across this thread - I thought it was a dead `un . Looked @ the pics and in a nutshell - agreeing with a lot of what`s been said - Your roof is Wuthering ( thanks to Joe who defined that on another thread ) I would consider having the roof tiles replaced with lighter ( per sq. meter) ones - then the just adequate structure you are left with underneath can be accessed and insulation / ventilation checked etc. If you went with smaller tiles you could have more ,larger size battens which would strengthen the roof . All with minimal disruption - because it`s all outside :idea:

To add to this you have been told what you need to do.

At the moment you have no certificate confirming compliance with building regs so:

- You have no buildings insurance cover if it collapses;
- You have no public liability insurance it it injures someone if it does.

You need to get this sorted out, next time get it done properly.

I have the certificate now... received it about 2 years after the work was done after a lot of pushing.

So, all I want to know is that if changes are required, do I need to pay for them or do I have some recourse?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back