Loft conversion ridge beam installation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, just about to start a diy loft conversion on my end terrace 2 bed 2008 build. W roof truss.
Question is I am unsure how to install the steel ridge beam (152x152 23kg calculated).
Do I install the specificied rafters onto original rafters, cut out the centre 2 supports of the w truss & jack the beam up to meet the rafters ?
Surely not every rafter will sit flush on the steel ?
I have plans & calcs but nothing to show how the beams actually sit.

Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
You've got crap plans then, and should ask the plan drawer or engineer to tell you how his design should be put together, and do what he has been paid to do - ie do his job properly.

The beam can go under the rafters with a timber plate on top, or it can go at the ridge height and the rafters cut into timber in the web of the beam. It all depends.

The height of the new rafters depends on whether they are structural, or superficial just to take the depth of insulation.

Thanks , will go back to plan supplier & ask for detailed drawing . Thank you for your view , appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back