Bedroom ceiling crack after being in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've recently moved into a late 1950s house and just been adding insulation to the loft.

I used a couple of loft boards between joists as much as I could but did also just stand on the joists at times.

A crack has now either appeared or got worse in the bedroom. Having only just moved into the house I can't remember if it was there before or not. However, there are signs of fallen paint on the bedroom floor under the crack.

The crack runs the opposite direction to the ceiling joists which is odd?

Although, in the loft are 2 or 3 joists on top of the 'main' joists going the opposite direction. I also stood on these.

Should I be worried that the loft structure or joists are damaged? or can I just repair the crack and forget it?

At some point I was to also add more joists on top of the existing joists and board on top of these so the boards so I don't squash the insulation down when boarding. When done the loft will be for storage only. I'm concerned about doing this and going in the loft again now though!

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Before we consider the joist structure, & no intention of being rude, but what do you weigh in at? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
you won't have done any lasting damage to the joists in the roofspace. Timber will deflect under load and can easily cause cracking in plasterboard ceilings. The timber moves back into position when the load is removed but the cracks resulting usually stay. Fix (by screwing) extra timber thickness on your existing joists and when the whole job is finished, repair any cracks in the ceiling with filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back