Boarding loft - ceiling cracks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a relatively new build (15 years or so) and have boarded half of the loft with loft legs and screwed in 18mm P5 t&g chipboard - plan is for storage of light items

The joists are 85mm x 35mm and seem sound - they’re prefabricated trussed rafters

I’ve noticed a bit of cracking in the ceiling below and wondered if I’ve messed up (these are all where plasterboard joins are)

I was walking on the joists quite a lot (which I now realise I shouldn’t have) but now there’s no need to walk on any joists as the boards are done

we’re getting rooms decorated in a month or so - can I assume these won’t get any worse now the boarding has finished and any weight now more evenly distributed?

note, the main cracking seems to be at the front and back walls, especially around where I assume the lintels are. The joists go front to back and I only boarded the centre part of the loft so curious why the cracks would be at the front and back?

Thanks and apologies for the waffling!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If they have only happened recently then its fair to assume you working up there has caused the cracks and shouldn't get any worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back