cracks in ceiling after boarding loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I boarded out my loft with T&G chipboard a couple of weeks ago. I've now noticed cracks in the ceiling (I think they were there very faintly before). I presume the plasterboard has flexed as I walk upstairs - should I be worried or just paint over?

Sponsored Links
Difficult to say for certain -

Did you nail or screw the chipboard ? - if nailed,this could have caused it.

Do you intend using the loft for storage,or something else ? - if only storage,unlikely to get worse.

No - boards screwed and countersunk. Loft is just to be used for storage (will probably only be up there 2 or 3 times a year.) If nothing significant, should I do anything special to these cracks before I next paint the ceiling?

What are the size of the ceiling joists? Have you also got board hanger joists that sit on top of the ceiling joists for extra support?

Sponsored Links
The correct name is ceiling binder which is normally a 100mm x 50mmm section, placed in the centre above the ceiling joists to stop the ceiling sagging in the middle and is supported on the end wallplate or top of wall. The board hanger joist is a nickname we use :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back