Fireproofing escape route prior to loft conversion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Newbie here so be gentle !!
I'm renovating my house and will be doing a loft conversion at some point in the future so I need to do the right things now to limit future problems.
I've used 15mm T&G for the ceilings, to be painted white (not usual, I know ..but I like it and no cracked ceilings !).
I've used fireline plasterboard on the escape route on the walls and under the ceiling boards (yet to board over, and to be painted with intumescent paint ), and realise now that I will have to get fire doors (anybody want to buy 6 B&Q laxford oak veneer doors).
My problem at the moment is .. do I need to put fireline PB on the kitchen ceiling, as the hall upstairs passes over it, in order for the floor to be compliant ?
Also, when the PB is up, do the edge gaps need to be sealed with intumescent sealer ?
The hallway floor will be 11mm Engineered oak, wet UFH in 25mm insulation,
6mm plyand 19mm floor board.

Sponsored Links
You will need to achieve at least 30min. fire resistance throughout, which can be achieved with 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard or 1 layer of 15mm Fireline board. There are many other ways but they're the two most common I specify.

You should be ok to not fire protect areas like toilets/bathrooms, but kitches will be a must and especially if the kitchen ceiling forms part of the escape route from the floor(s) above.

The board will have to be finished and cut against the wall/ceiling junctions and any gaps will have to be filled with a fire resisting material/sealant.

The fire doors only need to be FD20's but as you cannot buy FD20's anymore, you'll have to settle with FD30's. For a fire door to be treated as an FD, the frame will also need to be fire resisting. You don't "need" self closers as that has now been removed from the regulations.

Have a read of the PP link...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...s/workcommonloftconversion/workmorebrloftcon/

You will also have to cast your eyes over the AD's, mostly Part B and K...

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADB1_2006.pdf

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADK_1998.pdf

I could be confusing a few things together, but when you are talking about the amount of time the fireproofing (or structure) remains fire-resistant are you talking about a particular type/brand of fireproofing material? A friend of mine has a new york fireproofing company ********** and they do things like intumescent and cementitious fireproofing, but I always thought the difference in "time" depended not only on the thickness but also the type or brand of the fireproofing materials.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back