Skimming over intumescent sealant joints?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm doing a loft conversion, and have just put the pink fireline plasterboard across my new 1st floor ceiling. Building control are asking for intumescent mastic in any gaps between boards. There's quite a lot of gaps, typically up to about 7mm wide, both in the plane of the ceiling and at edges with the skeilings (I could have done better...)

I plan to use the intumescent acrylic sealant, then scrim over the filled joints before skimming with multifinish, but I'm a bit worried that this will lead to cracking along the joints. Does anyone have experience of this please?

Thanks, P

Sponsored Links
intumescent doesn’t shrink, only expands. so shouldn’t crack. 7mm is nothing really and good by anyone’s standards.
If your’e in any doubt use a 4” wide scrim . if you also 2 coat everything your skim will take longer to dry out , the quicker you dry it out the more likely you’ll get cracks now or later.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will go for it as you suggest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back