Repair to loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

I bought my bungalow a few years ago with an existing loft conversion. The original surveyors report before we bought wasn't any good, you could cut it into squares and hanging it next to the toilet.
I have had other areas surveyed again after I noticed myself a chimney wasn’t supported :mad: . The report on the loft conversion states as follows:

The loft conversion has been crudely formed by cross laying 100 x 50mm timbers over the existing ceiling joists........Appropriate strengthening works are recommended to ensure no further defects occur to the ceilings due to the overloading of the loft conversion.

I am stripping this room back to bare boards and starting again, what do I need to do to support what will be the floor properly? preferably without having to take the ceiling down in every room!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends on the spans and load bearing elements.

50 x 100mm joists can be used for spans up to 1.93m (at 400mm c/c).

It may be better to employ a structural engineer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back