typical cost of a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been toing and froing about getting my loft converted, I've seen a whole range of prices.

Back in 2018 I was quoted £15,000 for a basic loft conversion in my bungalow. However I know costs have soared in recent years., I'm seeing basic pricing starting from £20k, if this article is correct. https://loftworld.co.uk/how-much-is-a-loft-conversion/

Is that in the ballpark of a basic loft conversion for a bunglow, in your opinion? Size is approx 80 ft x 40ft

Sponsored Links
I'd be pretty surprised if you can get a loft conversion for £20k nowadays but getting quotes is the only way to find out, forget asking on forums.

80ft x 40ft is a monster, knocking on for three times the floor space of a four bedroomed Barrett new build. I would expect the materials bill alone to pass 20k..

are you sure your dimensions are accurate?

That’s over 280 square metres - so £20 k isn’t going to touch the sides

Sponsored Links
sorry , yes miscalculation on my part! lol;. thanks anyway

That's a big bungalow - are you sure those measurements are correct?

I'm no expert but having moved into a property a year ago with a view to doing a loft conversion I think you may be in for a shock. Ours is a smaller bungalow and we are looking at adding space for 2 bedrooms and a small bathroom. Depending on a lot of factors we are probably looking at £50k minimum but it could go anywhere up to around £100k.

We are still having plans revised and searching for the right builder. We will also have to remove the ceilings and have all the lintels replaced. It's surprising how much a loft conversion can affect the whole property. We will have to move ourselves and most of our possessions out during the build too. It could take around 2 - 3 months to complete.

I don't want to dishearten you, it can be a great way to increase living space but we thought we were being realistic initially thinking £30-40k and a week or so moving out would cover it. The reality is a bit different.

There are some firms that will claim they can do everything for you including drawing up plans and structural engineering... we got a very bad vibe that this was not kosher when we had them round. I would recommend consulting an architect and structural engineer first. You may be lucky and it may be possible that your build will be simpler but it is unlikely to come in much under £50k IMO.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back