Loft conversion on timber frame house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a single-storey timber-framed bungalow with a large loft on top, supporting the roof with trusses.

The ground floor is rectangular, with dimensions of (roughly) 60ft long by 30ft deep.

I know that roof trusses can be replaced with timber or steel beams to take the load, but can this (ever) be done on timber frame houses? Would the gable ends be strong enough to take the load?

My assumption was not, but I've read people on here suggest that any house can be developed as long as the loft has enough room and you are not going up too many storeys. My house, if done, would be one-and-a-half storeys.

I can supply measurements and photos if required, but at the moment my question is basically hypothetical --- especially as it would be many years before I could afford to do the conversion!!

Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
I am assuming you have a brick shell on the exterior of your timber frame and if so then generally yes it is possible but given that you may not have any true load bearing internal walls and for the spans of steel involved you would probably have to either have some new internal block walls in place of your stud walls or build supporting pillars in the appropriate places. It may involve some careful planning and possible restructuring of your room layouts . A chat with an Architect will reveal a true idea but hypothetically...yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back