Timber frame steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need a little advice before I go spending on drawings etc.
I have a timber frame house, end terrace.
Regarding a loft conversion, can I use steel for floor and truss support. Would the steels be ok sitting on the timber walls. The span would be approx 7.7m?
Some guys on the site I'm working on have told I might not any 'ridge beam'.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Need a little advice before I go spending on drawings etc.
I have a timber frame house, end terrace.
Regarding a loft conversion, can I use steel for floor and truss support. Would the steels be ok sitting on the timber walls. The span would be approx 7.7m?
Some guys on the site I'm working on have told I might not any 'ridge beam'.
Any advice would be really appreciated.
No reason not to use steel beams beams in timber frame construction, although you might need to reinforce the stud wall with an additional post to carry the steel, depending on the loads.

7.7m is a long span and would require a pretty big beam - at least a 254x254 UC.

If you have trusses you won't have a ridge beam. Trussed roofs are the most complicated to convert and require a lot of additional support in order to remove the struts and ties.

Aye, there was good thread on here for a trussed roof conversion, if applicable I can track it down.

Thanks for the prompt replies.
Wouldn't fancy having to open walls to reinforce the studs.
Front to back is about 5.5m. Would I be better to put, say 4 steels that way. I could put a stud across to support the trusses (I hope).

Sorry, I meant to write - I might not need to put a ridge beam in. I could support them in an other way. Obviously down to the engineer.

I didn't want to fork out for drawings, only to hear an SE tell me I need to pull my house apart.
Think ill stick to the sparking lol.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back