Loft conversion and escape velux

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning to do a simple loft conversion and should be able to get a decent room of about 5mx5m. Everything seems okay but...

My only slight concern is the escape Velux. As we already have dormers [it's a cottage style new build] the gutter is more than 1.7m from the existing 'floor' in the loft. Is this a major problem? Is it possible to have a
collapsible ladder instead?

Or do we need an escape velux if the stairs will be above the existing stairs and exit into the hall by the front door - which only has fire doors coming off it.

Or does anyone else have an idea how we might do it - we don't really want a dormer conversion and would prefer the velux route.

Ta

madge

Sponsored Links
madge1 said:
Or do we need an escape velux if the stairs will be above the existing stairs and exit into the hall by the front door - which only has fire doors coming off it.
Normally you only need velux escape window if the stairs doesn't exit in the hall area. It's best to check with the BCO for their free advice, they will tell you everything you need to know.

will the stairs from the loft be totally independant of any other stairs ie will you be able to get from the loft to the ground floor hall without using any other stairs in the house.
Am I picturing this right you have a house which at present is ground floor, first floor with dormer type windows then above this is a loft area which starts above your existing dormer windows.
how much head height do you have in your loft?
But in answer to your question if you can make a seperate enclosed escape route you probably won't have to comply with the escape velux rules.Check with BC they will be able to tell you over the phone.

That's basically it chappers. When the room will be 5mx5m, there would be maybe 50cm each side that is under 5ft ceiling height. Obviously a decent angle of roof. And the head height in the loft [at the apex] is about 3m - quite a high roof fortunately.

so it would just be a normal curved staircase from the loft down to the existing landing and then down from there to the hall area by the front door.

madge

Sponsored Links
It sounds as if you only have one staircase (from loft room to 1st floor then 1st floor to ground floor and final exit)
If you only have the one exit staircase you should need the escpe window

Thats right if you are using the existing stair case you will need to provide an escape velux, there are ways round this if the escape window is more than 1700 from the gutter line. It is all to do with making a totally fire safe passage.
I did one a while back where the escape velux was just over 2.5m from the gutter and we had to replace all the doors that opened onto the landings and hallway with fire doors and closers and provide the usual interlinked smoke detectors to the loft room and all landings and hallways also the ceilings of any habitable rooms that were under the landings had to be upgraded to 1hr fire resistance.Again speak to building control or an architect for the definitive answer

Nothing has changed with the building regs in the recent couple of months has it?

We're now just about to go ahead with the Conversion and I'm getting nervous. Even though i've got the chap at the council (both in building regs and planning) to say it's okay....until i get final sign off I won't be happy.

What happens if we don't get it? We can still use the room as a room? Just can't sell it as a 4 bedroom (say)?

thanks

You may be able to get a free visit from the fire service.re smoke alarms ;) and while they are there........... :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back