Bedroom Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My bedroom ceiling has a few cracks in it (not too long and only a mm or two wide) and some patchy, light brown stains. Made me think I had a leaky roof but have been up there a couple of times and can't see any problems, one time it was raining hard and saw nothing to suggest I had a leak. Any idea why these have appeared? Should I be worried?

Many thanks for your help, any advice would be very welcome.

Cheers

Dave

Sponsored Links
They sometimes leak when wet for days but not in sudden showers. Get in the loft during a rainy patch and look for wet rafters.

Sounds very much like a leak, this will have ingressed between the joints in the plasterboard, this is why cracks and brown stains are visable.
Some times it's not just a case of heavy rain causing the water to come in, it may also be in which way the wind is blowing.
Do you know when this was first evident?
Could be a case that a repair has been made to the roof and the ceiling was never repaired afterwards?
Also could there be something else within the ceiling void that could be responsible for a leak, such as water or draingage/waste pipes?

Cheers guys, that's really useful.

Its been there for a while (over a year I think, it's not a room I used when I first moved in but have been using it this past year) but not sure if it's getting worse or I am just paranoid! None of the insulation or boards seem damp (I would expect the insulation to look a dirty colour and retain some damp, is that a fair assumption?) and I had a look at the pipes and saw no problems. But then I'm no expert on any of this.

Probably worth getting someone in to take a look?

Sponsored Links
It could well be that the previous occupant had a leak and had it repaired, but did nothing with the ceiling.
You can't just paint over watermarks, they will bleed through.
So first I would make sure you have no leak before you repair the ceiling.
Depending on the width of the cracks it could be filled using poly filler or you may need to tape the joints back up, using self adhesive nylon jointing tape and easifill jointing compound, this can be reapplied and sanded down until smooth.
The watermark will need to be sealed using a stain sealer or it will become visible again, follow the instructions on the tin.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/68520/Sealants-Adhesives/Tapes/Building-Construction-Tape/

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...ndid=9273267&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266891097

Nice one, thanks very much.

I'll take a look and see if I can fix it up.

Really appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers

I have added links to the tape and compound best used.
these can by bought at most sheds and builders merchants, some will have different branded and also the compound is available ready mixed or in powder form (just add water)

Any cheapo oil based undercoat will do.

Thanks, that's great, I'll give it a go.

Would you say that I should do this first as a bit of a test, in that if it doesn't come back I don't have a problem but if it does then I've probably got a more serious roof problem?

Worth doing this before I get someone in to take a look?

Thanks guys

I would normally recommend solving the source of the problem, prior to doing remedial work on the ceiling.
If the area is only small and time and cost is not an issue, if you are sure there is no longer a problem, you may want to repair the ceiling and hope the problem does not reoccur.
The ball is in your court!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back