Damp on bedroom ceiling and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I moved into a 1930's house. In Jan a local builder repointed the ridge tiles and the chimney stack. Since then I have had a problem with damp in the bedroom on the wall and ceiling next to the chimney. Having given up on the first builder, tried another two who gave me the run around. I finally had a roofer recommended to me. Last week the roofer replaced the lead flashing on the chimney and the soakers. We were hopeful that this would resolve the issue, but after a day of rain, the damp patch is as bad as ever. Could the problem be the chimney stack, as there is no apparent wetness/damp in the roof void above the bedroom? The chimney stack is vented with a covered cowl. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt reply , we were looking for a way ahead in trying to solve this problem and you have given us a good start . We have arranged for some work to be carried out on the chimney stack itself next week and have our figers crossed that we can see the last of the ingressing rain.

Sponsored Links
It may be condensation attracted by the old salts (from coal fires) which have soaked into the chimney bricks (not rain).

If the chimney is ventilated top and bottom it is likely to dry out. a small airbrick is adequate but it may have two or more flues inside it (one from each original fireplace or stove) and each will need to be ventilated.

If the chimney is out of use you can probably get better results by taking it down below roof level, leaving the flues open in the loft, and re-making the roof with ordinary tiles, felt and battens (which is less troublesome than an exposed old chimney with its pots and flashing needing frequent maintenance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back