damp patches on chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had the chimney breast removed from ground floor room however rain came down the chimney onto the floor so had the cowl holes blocked up with cement. Now getting damp patches on the chimney breast at ceiling level in 1st floor bedroom. A roofer suggest that the lead flashing may need replacing. What course of action should I take?

Sponsored Links
Inspect the lead flashing, and replace if necessary. :idea:

Redo the flaunching. That is the usual cause.

if the chimney is no longer in use,and blocked at both ends ,it will need air bricks/vents to prevent damp causing problems in future,though this is unlikley to be the cause in this instance,but,if you're going to have the flashing done,you might as well get air bricks fitted at the same time.

Sponsored Links
the problem with a lot of chimney breasts, or indeed the masonry within, is the bricks have become saturated with soot, oil, tar, hygroscopic salts etc. etc.

there is no more room for anything else. so when a chimney breast gets blocked off with no ventilation, the already vulnerable masonry will react almost instantly.

very temperamental structures are well used chimneys!

so what i'm saying is, yes, do look out for the obvious signs first, i.e. flashing, flaunching, missing tiles etc., but don't be too surprised if these elements are sound.

read about hygroscopic salts and you will see what i mean.

http://www.buildingconservation.com/articles/services/chimney.htm

Thanks every one for your advice.
Going to start with a new ventilated cowl and then the lead flashing etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back