leaking roof nightmare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i will start from the beginning :(

i had 2 chimney breasts removed. 1 from the living room and 1 from the bedroom directly above it.

the chimney breast is still there in the loft.

after i had them removed i noticed that when it rained heavily there was a wet patch on the upstairs bedroom ceiling.

i paid roofer A to have the chimney capped as he said the water must be coming straight through the open chimney top.

as the weather improved it didn't rain for about 6 months. when it rained heavily again i noticed the wet patch appeared once again :evil:

i went up into the loft to see anything and i saw that when i stood facing the chimney breast water was dripping down the right hand side side of the chimney breast.

i rang up roofer B as roofer A was not around anymore and he said i will go up ontp the roof and take a look. he told me some of the cement around the flashing? was cracked and charged me to sort this.

today it rained heavily again and the wet patch once again appeared again :cry: roofer B has not returned my call at the moment.

what i want to know is where the hell could the water that drips down the right hand side of the chimney breast be coming from?

as far as i know i have paid for the chimney to be capped and the flashing is sound now according to roofer B so where the hell could the water be coming from.

any help would be much appreciated as i can't afford to keep paying people and the problem is still there :cry:

Sponsored Links
Just to make sure that I'm reading this right, is the chimney breast below the roof rafters and roof tiles over the top?

in the loft the chimney breast comes down to the level of the joists which i walk on.

i've just been up there with a big torch to try and look up the side of the chimney breast but i can't see where the chimney exits out the roof as there is a big beam etc in the way

the chimney is a shared one with my neighbour as it's a terraced house. i have a slate roof

Okay, from the outside, is the roof tiles all over the chimney area where it used to be?

Sponsored Links
i can't get onto the roof to check myself but both roofers who have been up there have said no slates looked out of place. the slate roof is about 4 years old.

when the work was done removing the chimney breasts the roof was untouched.

he told me some of the cement around the flashing? was cracked and charged me to sort this.
This is the bit I'm not sure about, there shouldn't be any flashing if the chimney was taken down below the roof rafters. I don't know your layout of the roof hip but can you not see it from the ground level with a binocular that's tiles over and no flashing in it place?

Sorry to butt in but from what I read it sounds like the chimney breast has been removed from the ground floor and the bedroom above to ceiling height , everything else is as before so the chimney stack still exits the roof hence the capping and the flashing are stil there. Is this correct?

Porker you are better at explaining than me!!

you are correct in your explanation. the chimney breast now only exists in the loft and above out of the roof

masona re:flashing i'm just gping by what the previous 2 roofers have told me.

binoculars is a good idea but my roof is a /\ ahape and the side the leak is not viewable from the front or back garden.

sounds like theres something wrong with the flashing to the right also the chimney could need repointing, water could be soaking through. Also what is the chimney resting on in the loft.

Hi

chimney in the loft is resting on extra beams that the builders put in

Can't really see why they didn't take the whole lot out :?: any chance of a picture ?

who lot was not taken out due to how much i had to spend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back