Roof leak down chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

We moved into a 1930’s semi last year and had the roof re-slated after the survey identified lots of previous repairs and generally just old, but no definite evidence of leaks.

After the re-slate, noticed water running down chimney breast in attic causing a large wet patch on the chimney breast in bedroom below. Turned out the roofer didn’t replace the flashing but just resealed the mortar joint with lead sealant after repointing the rest of the chimney.

Got another roofer in to replace lead (new rear gutter, soakers and counter flashing? however noticed some ongoing small leaks. Now focused in the spot at the lower corner of the rear chimney rather than all the way around.

Can anyone suggest if there’s any other possible causes?
- The neighbour chimney pot is uncovered but the issue seems to be on the outside of the breast directly below roof line
- Neighbour also hasn’t had their roof done - Could it be a problem with a leak at the overlap running down the felt and hitting the chimney?

I’ve attached some photos from after the most recent flashing repair.

Attachments

• 53be9471-1c3c-4e71-9d32-dff6eb15d394.jpeg
    53be9471-1c3c-4e71-9d32-dff6eb15d394.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 1664c6f0-d1ba-4a6d-b530-346e999d708d.jpeg
    1664c6f0-d1ba-4a6d-b530-346e999d708d.jpeg
    137.3 KB · Views: 159
  • 5c4dc0f3-3783-482d-91d4-362845cab0d2.jpeg
    5c4dc0f3-3783-482d-91d4-362845cab0d2.jpeg
    153.9 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_7230.jpeg
    IMG_7230.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    262.4 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
A bit silly that that they didn't allow a full (width) slate to bond the joint over the lead - fist course of tiles up the right side of the chimney. It looks vulnerable to me, the fact that they have the lead edge and a tile joint, together. I'd try soakering that first.

I would go into the loft during a spell of decent rain and see where the water is coming from with a torch, that way it may be easier to pinpoint where it is externally. Not a foolproof way as it could travel from further up but may help.

A bit silly that that they didn't allow a full (width) slate to bond the joint over the lead - fist course of tiles up the right side of the chimney. It looks vulnerable to me, the fact that they have the lead edge and a tile joint, together. I'd try soakering that first.
Thanks, I’ll see what the roofer thinks and mention this.

Sponsored Links
I would go into the loft during a spell of decent rain and see where the water is coming from with a torch, that way it may be easier to pinpoint where it is externally. Not a foolproof way as it could travel from further up but may help.
It’s coming in from this point on the corner of the chimney. But nobody has been able to see any gaps around here externally.

Haven’t been able to get the roofer round yet. But just noticed some daylight coming through the slates when the lights off in the attic.

It’s about 1.5m to the left of the chimney, with a roof batten running from the gap over to the front corner on the chimney where it’s leaking. Any chance it could be getting in here and running across, or is that a stupid suggestion?

Attachments

• IMG_7243.jpeg
    IMG_7243.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_7244.jpeg
    IMG_7244.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 71

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back