Roof leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello community, wondering if someone could help.

I have two chimney breasts in my flat. There are no fireplaces underneath but 4 chimneys point to them on the roof.
When it rains, they were leaking and the walls were getting wet.
So we had the entire roof redone, which was rather battered, the flashing redone.
It was still leaking.
So we had the masonry plastered.
It's now still leaking. Perhaps not as badly, but I can hear a drip along the first breast at a rate of every 12 seconds. The second breast doesn't seem to be leaking, but I'm not 100% on that just yet.
Could it be the chimney caps? Or what else could it be...?
Is there anything to be mindful of in taking down the chimneys entirely and plastering the holes?

Attachments

• IMG_0799.JPG
    IMG_0799.JPG
    449.9 KB · Views: 158
Sponsored Links
Is there anything to be mindful of in taking down the chimneys entirely and plastering the holes?

It is a structural job and needs to be done properly, perhaps with advice from an SE. There are four pots, you have two fireplaces, what do the extra two pots serve?

you've got two chimney stacks straddling a parapet and is there a party wall?If youve got two seperate flats with two flues to each flat and all the flues are redundant then youve got the correct ventilationcowls. Do the flats below you have chimney breasts?
If you have a space above the ceiling in your flat can you see where the chimney breast and parapet goes up through the roof? Can you open up your blocked off chimney breasts and shine a light up.
If the stacks are shared then its difficult to slice your half off.Dropping the staccks is simple enough but it might not be the answer the problem might be the flaky render or the flashing on the parapet?
We can only see your side of the roof.

Sponsored Links
HI all,
The pots serve ZERO function. There are no fireplaces anywhere. The only place where the 4 chimneys extend to are the 2 breasts and all they're doing is catching the bloody rain. So they could just be cemented over tbh.

the breasts might have more than one flue in them. every redundant flue needs venting.

HI all,
The pots serve ZERO function. There are no fireplaces anywhere. The only place where the 4 chimneys extend to are the 2 breasts and all they're doing is catching the bloody rain. So they could just be cemented over tbh.

If you have chimney flues, they do need to be ventilated whether in use or not. Which means cowls at the top, to prevent rain getting in and a vent at the bottom where the fireplace was.

If you have chimney flues, they do need to be ventilated whether in use or not. Which means cowls at the top, to prevent rain getting in and a vent at the bottom where the fireplace was.

Thank you. Why would they need to be ventilated if they don't have any purpose other than raining into my chimney breasts?

Thank you. Why would they need to be ventilated if they don't have any purpose other than raining into my chimney breasts?

Chimneys are not entirely waterproof, some moisture will soak into the masonry. The moisture needs to get out to avoid damage, that is why you allow for some ventilation.

Was any waterproofer use in the render mix? They are shared chimneys so it's unlikely you can remove them.

So we had the entire roof redone, which was rather battered
Jesus Christ battered alright, that's better than the cod I get from my local chippie :cautious:

That shiite is now just sealing in moisture, and not providing any protection at all

Drip can't be coming from any sealed-in moisture because it happens live and real-time when it ****es down. There's an actual leak somewhere on both of them OR it's raining through the bloody pots when the wind is driving it. Given that both sides are leaky I'm tempted to suspect the pots.

Drip can't be coming from any sealed-in moisture because it happens live and real-time when it ****es down. There's an actual leak somewhere on both of them OR it's raining through the bloody pots when the wind is driving it. Given that both sides are leaky I'm tempted to suspect the pots.

Have you double checked the flaunching around the pots?

Have you double checked the flaunching around the pots?
Hi Harry, that's been recently replastered. Some big cracks were covered actually.
It could still be the very edges where the flaunching meets the pots...I'm thinking of getting sealant applied alongside closing off the pots and adding additional flashing. Those three measures should theoretically cover all the possibilities.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back