1950s Bungalow Chimney Leak - help me! :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I've joined this site as I bought a semi detached 1950s Bungalow April 2020. We have a converted garage extension on the side of the house where the chimney is, which has a flat roof (we have had this replaced since moving in as it was leaking)

When we moved in we noticed 2 large damp patches on the living room chimney breast wall, and in the loft you can see water dripping down the outside of the chimney breast above the living room which is causing these damp patches. But when the rain is bad it is also leaking into the extension on the other side of the chimney, despite all the flashing along the extension roof being checked and the flat roof being brand new. So we have water coming in to the house either side of the chimney.

We have had the flashing on the chimney replaced, the back gutter replaced, and I am waiting on the roofer coming back to do repointing and replace any dry verge caps that may need replacing. However they don't seem to know for sure what is actually causing this issue and i'm losing confidence as each time they have visited they have said the issue should be resolved, but it's not

Does anyone have any ideas? Losing my mind and feel like my house will never be watertight. Have considered removing the chimney stack but from what I've read some people still have issues.

Sponsored Links
Hi
I’ve got the same problem as the original writer.
It has been raining today and this is the result . The chimney stack in the loft is wet . We’ve checked the flashing and that’s ok.

Attachments

• C0AB5A96-1826-4302-82F7-A28D56F88355.jpeg
    C0AB5A96-1826-4302-82F7-A28D56F88355.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 175
Sponsored Links
Both, good evening.

Vesper, can I suggest you start another thread? with your problem? it becomes [shall I call it] "complicated" in answering the two what may be different sources of any such problem, also the Moderators on the board may??? shout at you??

Both, there is a search function in the box at the top right of this page, handy for searching old posts as regards these issues, there are loads and loads of posts about chimneys admitting rain water? lots of different scenarios.

Quick check list of [at least some of the issues you may be facing]

1/. Is the chimney in use? is there a gas fire?
2/. If the chimney is not in use? is there a vent in the old blocked up fireplace inside the property?
3/. Does the chimney pot have a vented cap?
4/. Can you see from ground level if there is any debris build up between the chimney flashing and the tiles / slates?

Finally, both, images please inside and out when the rain stops?, if you can several from different angles externally, and use the Zoom function on the camera?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back