Bedroom condensation/mould

A

armour

Hi all you knowledgeable, helpful people. I've recently bought my first flat (ground floor) & am dismayed to find it suffers from condensation/mould. The problem is worst in the bedroom (particularly the built in wardrobe) which has 2 outside walls 5.25m (north facing) & 2.7m (east facing). The room is heated by 1 x 3.4Kw storage heater (positioned on an internal wall), there is a recently installed double glazed window without a trickle vent and no other vetilation in the room. - There is however a duct running from the bathroom along the top of the north facing wall. From searching this site I reckon I need to; a) move 3.4Kw heater to north (longest) wall, b) fit another heater (1.7Kw???) to east (shorter) wall & c) increase ventilation. Can I do this by fitting louvred slots in the afore mentioned ducting - If so how large should they be? - Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
i feel your might be going to a bit too much trouble. mould certainly points to condensation. it shows up on the coldest walls. ideally you need to take a few temp readings and work out dew points to know what's happening. there's a good simple book in the library worth a read (dampness in buildings, oxley & gobert, ISBN 0 7506 2059 5).

as a starting point work out what's causing the condensation (ie shower or cooking). then think of a way of getting extra ventilation into the flat ie leave window open after a shower, leave window open while cooking, are there any extract fans and do they work. ideally if you’re out all day then a small "trickle" vent would work - can the windows be locked slightly open. you’re looking for a small vent over a long time or a big vent over a short time. leave your wardrobe open more ie during the day or night.

you will need to kill off the mould with a proprietary cleaner then wait and see if it returns. if it does then look at adding in the proposed vent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back