Bedroom radiator not filling with water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

A couple of weeks ago my partner and I removed the radiator in the bedroom so that I could wallpaper the wall behind.

I looked up the steps for rehanging the radiator and 'thought' it was going to be straightforward (ha!). We had a bit of difficulty getting the radiator onto the brackets so we could align the pipes coming up from the floor to meet.

Eventually I manipulated them so that we could tighten the nuts at either end. Then we switched the thermostatic valve on fully, heard a bit of a whooshing noise which stopped after a few seconds and then opened up the bleed valves (it's a double radiator so has two of them at the top).

However, after a few seconds water started leaking from beneath the thermostatic valve area (so I mustn't have tightened the securing nuts enough?) so we shut off the bleed valves again and switched the thermostatic valve back to 'off'.

Once we'd tightened up the nuts again I switched the thermostatic valve back up to 5 (but heard no gurgling noises as described) and opened up one of the bleed valves. It started hissing for a few seconds, but then nothing.

I was under the impression that once the radiator had filled with water you would have to quickly shut off the bleed valves because water would come out of them?

Now I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem as if the radiator has filled with water but I don't know what to do (short of calling a plumber out).

Can I still put our central heating on (which I'd switched off as I knew I'd be attempting to rehang the radiator) as long as the lockshield valve is tight and the thermostatic valve is switched to 'off'?

Our boiler is a Baxi Combi Instant.

Ironically my partner's sister is a plumber but they had a blazing row yesterday and so he won't call her to ask for advice. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Remove the TRV head as the pin maybe stuck down, push the pin down with a spoon and it should spring back up if not give the valve body a few gentle taps.

Check the pressure on the combi
open the filling loop and top it up to 1 bar

Sponsored Links
Check the pressure on the combi
open the filling loop and top it up to 1 bar

Thank you Steve - I called my brother who used to be a plumber and he talked me through the whole topping up the boiler and returning to the radiator. Had to do it a few times until water bubbled from the bleed valves but now we have a lovely warm house again.

Is it sad that I'm chuffed I've learnt to do something really simple? :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back