Beech Worktop Oiling Quandry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I'm new to solid wood worktops and was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas.

I've read lots of the older threads and have seemingly come up with Tung oil being the best for making sure the work top is resistant to stains/water if treated correctly.

My main question is, if I coat the work top once a day for a week, how long would it be until I could use the worktop?

Also, I'm planning on cutting out a hole for the sink, I understand the cut edges need to be oiled. Does this mean I have to wait until its fully dry to install the sink?

Thanks for any help at all.

Sponsored Links
Well if you silicone round the edge of the sink and clamp it down nice and tight, then water shouldn't be a problem. I'd still give it a few coats though, or varnish it as it won't be seen anyway.

If you meant a butler type sink then the cut edges will be exposed, so you'll still be able to oil 'em.

The main worry I have is how long I have to wait until I can begin to fully use the worktop.

I have a week or two to oil it regularly before I move in. So I'm wondering if Tung oil will be usable after such a short period.

You can use it almost straight away. The fact that you're using it doesn't mean you can't keep oiling it. Just clean after use and avoid spilling anything nasty onto it. Just be a bit precious with it for the first few weeks, and use a chopping board! Make one from the sink cutout ;)

Sponsored Links
Ah brilliant, thanks.

I'm gonna hopefully go buy some tomorrow. My worktop will be lovely :D

And NEVER, EVER chop or cut, except on your chopping board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back