Beech worktops - reasonable expansion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I'm hoping someone can confirm if I'm losing my marbles or not...

I fitted solid beech worktops about six weeks ago. Two weeks ago I noticed a gap appearing along the front edge of the inset sink. It appears that the worktop has expanded to such an extent that the sink is dropping out of its cutout.The edge in front of the sink isn't bowed (which was my first suspicion - a 2m straight edge shows no bowing). I expected some expansion (gap left along all walls and slotted brackets used to fix worktop to units) but on measuring the entire length of worktop (2.6m) has increased from 600mm width to 615mm.

All the advice I can find online about fitting wooden worktops recommend an expansion gap of 3-8mm so I'm surprised my worktops have grown so much. They were oiled with Danish oil three times before fitting and once more since. Because of the turn in the weather the kitchen does have a lot more condensation than previous but I'm still wondering if I have defective worktops?

Any advice on whether an expansion of 15mm is normal, and any advice on what to do with a gap along the front edge of an inset sink would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Hello

I'm surprised at 15mm expansion. I fitted solid oak worktops and left around 5mm gap at the wall, needless to say, think I could have left less, as everything seems to have stayed put, 3m (longest length).

Like yours, mine have multiple coats, although I used Osmo worktop oil, bit less smelly than Danish.
Not sure why you have some much condensation in your kitchen... do you use the extractor or open windows...perhaps this is accelerating the expansion?

Can you take a pic of the gap on the sink, is it and under mount sink or slot in from the top?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back