been quoted on garage base, seem right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

iv had a few guys down to sort our garage out with a quoute for doing the base..

its 9m x 2.8m internal. i bricked it with my stepdad using concrete blocks.

had a few quotes,

one wanted £2500 for 4" slab with no reinforcment, and expansion control
other £900 for 4" slab no reinforcment and expansion control/ joints.
last bloke said 6" reinforced but didnt come back to me with a quote! tried phoning!!

the garage is mostly going to be used as my gym untill my other gets built down the bottom of the garden. i do heavy powerlifting so no multi gym going in here. however i do use horse stable matts under my weights. after this it may be used to store a car(possibly).

one of my machines in particular is my leg press and can sometimes get loaded with around 400kg but thats spread over 4 points on the floor.

does this thickness sound about right with no reinforcement? just hope it's right.

Sponsored Links
Have you built the walls and you are just getting a quote for the floor slab, or is this for the whole concrete works? because your walls will need some sort of trench foundation. For a 9 X 2.8 X .1 M slab ( 2.5 Cu m) of ready mix is about £400
Frank

hi, its already built and footings are already done and was done when we moved in, we just added to it. The slab is internal. so looking at the quote for the slab to be layed at the appropriate depth. the quotes i have had so far were 4" not reinforced and both told me it doesn't need anything else? yet the one who didnt get back to me with a price said the opposite. very confusing!

maybe i need to try another contractor to get an idea?

Sponsored Links
If you are ever considering putting a car in it it should be 6'' and reinforced with mesh,

Without a possibility of a vehicle then you could happily lay it at 4'' thick no reinforcement needed. You will need an expansion joint somewhere in the length.

As mentioned above is there a sub base? You should have a good 4-6'' of compacted hardcore ideally.

no sub base as such, theres like pea gravel and dirt mixed but definitely not compacted, in places it's soft.. sounds sketchy then i seen people saying 6 inch on average. builder made out it was fine to dump it right ontop. this is what made me look into it. dont sound right.

maybe i need to get another person in to take a look then.

Can you explain better what you have? Is this a completely new garage? What do you mean it was completed before you moved in?

Or was this an existing garage you extended? Was the original floor broken up and removed?

If it has been dug up or heavily distrubed it needs to be dug out and replaced with a sub base.

If its the original ground that was under an old slab it may be ok but it will need levelled and well compacted.

If you want to put a car in it you should use a sub base and a full 6'' reinforced slab.

Hi, when we moved in the garage was there but wasn't very high so we added a few courses.

The base was never there and all you can see isthe top of the footings and shuttering. It's mostly soft dirt on top with what I can only describe as garden pea gravel in there randomly. But as stated its definityly top soft. There's no sub base

With a slab of that size you won't need an expansion joint but you would need a shrinkage/contraction joint to split the slab into two bays. A simple saw cut grove to act as a crack inducer will do the job then fill it with a Sealent. The cut will only need to be about a quarter of the slab depth.

The other option is to add more reinforcement to control the shrinkage cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back