Laying a concrete slab for a new garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. This is my first post so apologies if its been asked before etc. I've searched the Forums but can't find all the answers.

I've got a new wooden garage on order (16 feet by 10 feet; 4.8m by 3m). The manufacturers recomend laying a concrete slab and then laying a single course of bricks for the wooden structure to rest on. The garage will be detached from the house and used to accomodate / work on my old MGs.

I'm a bit bewildered by all the advice on concrete slabs that is out there. Can anyone help with the following:

The ground is a stiff clay, once you clear the topsoil. What's the minimum thickness of hardcore & slab can I go for (I'm digging this by hand so obviously want to avoid over-doing it)? Would 100mm concrete over 150mm hardcore do the job?

Do I need reinforcing mesh?

Would specifiying polypropylene fibres in the mix be a worthwhile idea?

For the size of slab would I need joints to allow expansion?

Would a typical mini-mix concrete wagon be too heavy for a tarmac driveway (that leads to the garage site); If the wagon can't pour directly how do I go about pouring the slab?

I'm looking the the slab to be fairly tough and long lasting, but I don't want to over-do things if its not required.

Sorry for the machine gun questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
100 over 150 would suffice. Swings and roundabouts you'd probably get away with 150 over 100 :D

Mesh is fairly cheap and I would use it in a slab taking a vehicle. Couple of sheets of A142.

Fibres not necessary provided you let the slab cure slowly. Keep it moist and covered for a couple of days.

No real need for an expansion joint. I you were mixing yourself I'd recommend a construction joint (pour 2 halves seperately)

If the truck can't get in, then you'll need a couple of mates and a couple of wheelbarrows. Or you can hire a concrete pumping machine. Mates might be cheaper if they will tolerate cheap beer ;)

If you intend to paint the slab, do so before you start leaking engine oil all over it. Couple of tins of garage floor paint and a tin of concrete sealer is all you'll need.

Thanks for the reply Deluks.

A bit of a follow-on, but I'm now a bit unsure about what to concrete to specify; I've spoken to a couple of suppliers and they 'advised' on what would be best but I haven't had the same advice! Anyone got soem thoughts?

The edges of the slab (about a foot on one side) will be outside the garage itself, so will be exposed to the weather - would this make a difference?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back