beer barrels hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If just purchased a pub and is coverted to a residential residence.

In the rear lounge i have put in a patio door leading to the back garden.
As you step out of the patio door you step onto a metal double doors what used to be a hatch for throwing beer barrels in to the cellar. Also when it rain it comes through the metals doors into the cellar.

How can i block this access up permantly and make it sound and waterproof

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The hatch may also be part of the ventilation of the cellar. Closing it in an air tight manner may lead to musty smells.

Sponsored Links
SOUNDPROOF??
Its easy to waterproof it, open it up and squirt a thick bead of silicone sealer on the mating surfaces, leave for 30 minutes to skin over, gently close the hatch and it will bed its self into the silicone. If there is an area where there is not a proper mating surface, i.e. if the two door edges just close closely together without an over lap then such a surface must be made.
If by sound proof you mean that footsteps on the doors are not so noisey, very difficult to do. It could be that the doors bounce when trod on, so take the bounce out with legs underneath and generally stiffen them up with 4" X 2" though bolted to their underneath, perhaps with the legs underneath them.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back