Before Angle Beads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was watching some guys rendering a wall the other day thinking, a 3 year old could do that. Is this really what adult men do in 2023?
Was wondering how people made corners before angle beads ?
Perhaps somebody knows?
Anybody still take pride in being able to plaster without assistance ?
( I am sure its the same in every sector of the economy, that's for sure )

Sponsored Links
In my Victorian place, the interior corner beads were pine quadrant mouldings, with the lime plaster butted up to the edge.

I am a decorator. I cannot plaster but I do appreciate painting walls plastered by skilled plasters.

I don't see using angle beads as "cheating".

That said, I have no idea how they were done in the "olden" days. I often work in in houses that have chamfered corners that terminate a couple of inches from the skirting and the (run in situ) cornicing.

I don't doubt that there are plasterers that are able to forgo the use of angle beads, but I also imagine that they are wayyyy more expensive.

I saw an old builder making sharp arrisses by tacking a wooden batten to one wall, and using that as an edge to plaster to.

Once that side was hard, he plastered the other wall to the edge he had made.

Proper plasterers use a trowel with two faces, at right angles, to finish the corner. But old plasterers just did it freehand.

1698685463711.png

I'm sure a skilled and experienced plasterer can make internal and external corners with no fancy aids.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I saw an old builder making sharp arrisses by tacking a wooden batten to one wall, and using that as an edge to plaster to.

That's how I once did it, when I created a doorway, through a wall, where I wasn't installing a door frame. Wall was already plastered, before I started, I just needed to make good the plaster where I had damaged it, and plaster the edges of the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back