Being dragged into te 21st century...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning everyone,

Apparently, my TV won't work in a couple of months when they turn the transmitters off.

I don't want to spend squillions, so I got a freeview set top box (hand me down from the mother in law !) and plugged it in. It failed to find any stations.

Adding in the fact that I can't get anything but a snowstorm on Channel 5 (and the DVD player can't find it, only the TV) made me think the aeriel could do with some help. Bought an inline amplifier, and that made no difference. Neighbours don't have a problem, so I guess either the aeriel or cable or both isn't up the mark.

What sort of aeriel do I need ? the one that's up there is the one that came with the house years ago; it's a long thin one with lots of cross bars a bit like this:

I I I I I I I
------------------
I I I I I I I

Any pointers gratefully received, Thanks David

Sponsored Links
Is it really as simple as saying "I'd like to buy a new digital aerial please" to the nice man behind the counter ?

best to go to a local installer IMO as they'll know the best one for the area...

maybe ask the neighbours where they got theirs if they have a good signal.

Sponsored Links
There is no such thing as a digital aerial. All aerials are equally capable of receiving analogue or digital signals.

What type of aerial you need will depend to a large extent on where you live and which channels your local transmitter uses.

Put your postcode into the Digital Reception Predictor at Wolfbane. That will tell you what transmissions are available in your area and the type of aerial required as well as the compass bearing.

The Digital UK Reception Postcode Checker is also very useful. Tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box for more detailed information

There is no such thing as a digital aerial. All aerials are equally capable of receiving analogue or digital signals.

What type of aerial you need will depend to a large extent on where you live and which channels your local transmitter uses.

Put your postcode into the Digital Reception Predictor at Wolfbane. That will tell you what transmissions are available in your area and the type of aerial required as well as the compass bearing.

The Digital UK Reception Postcode Checker is also very useful. Tick the "I am in the aerial installation trade" box for more detailed information

semantics - an aerial that is capable of receiving the digital signal adequately then... ;)

Reason I said about a local installer is that I went down the route you suggest when upgrading - and the online guide recommended several types Got one of them, but found that several channels were 'dropping out'...a quick call to a local firm sorted out a different one, as in our case there are variations even in the same area of the street. And I'm sure other places can be the same.

@ GaryB: Did as you suggested, and got way too much info ! Don't know what to make of it, except I think it says I should be able to get good reception.

@ Ellal: I'm going to follow your suggestion, and find a local installer who knows the area.

Thanks for your help, David

The other option would be to install a satellite dish and buy a freesat box this gives you the option of having the BBC/ITV HD channels if you want them and also has more channels avalble than Freeview.
The HD channels would need a suitable TV and Freesat HD box

@ Goldberg: Thanks for the links. most important thing I picked up was tha bad reception today is not a good predictor of reception quality after the switchover. THe advise was "wait & see".
However, as the place is pretty high (top if the stack is 20m), and it's scaffolded at the moment, I think I'll seek advice and get a new aerial fitted while access is easy.

@ streetlighter: I'm after the easiest way to get today's TV after the switchover; I don't want 57 channels so I can become a couch potato, so I'm not going down the satellite route !

There's precious little worth watching as it is !

I would agree no such thing as Digital aerial neither do you get black and white aerials or colour unless you use a spray can yet we have colour and black and white licences?

The term "Digital Aerial" refers to a wide band aerial which is required in some areas. However to get wide band you also get heavy and high wind resistance and if not required then why fit it.

However in the economic down turn many companies are short of work and changing narrow band for wide band aerials is quite a money earner.

The local aerial man was telling me about the odd requests he gets like stacking aerials to get better signal and was saying how he had to tell people how that would not work. I had a problem keeping a straight face having just left a guy with 9 aerials which he aimed at the moon and bounced VHF signals to USA. But it seems only qualification required is not to be scared of heights!

So if you can receive analogue signals with your aerial you should also receive some digital. The digital signals are transmitted in 6 groups and although with narrow band aerial you may not be able to receive all 6 groups you should get some.

So if you have analogue and no digital I would suspect the freeview set top box. There were some boxes which worked on an old system and could not be upgraded and are now door stops. Also when they have not been used for some time they may need some up-dating before they will work.

How about asking someone who gets Freeview to try your box or borrow some ones box which you know works as you may be looking at completely the wrong item and the aerial may be A1.

Eric - Good thought about testing the freeview box. I'll ask around to find someone who uses freeview.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back